Grainy pictures

Under exposed....

With the D40, to shoot indoors with a darker room at a decent distance from your subject, you are probably up for a tough challenge if you're looking for no noise.
I would say a tripod and longer shutter, less limited ISO, but then you have motion blur.

Ok, cool! :)

I like my D40 but I'm going to invest into a new camera, lense and flash, so what would you recommend is the best camera to get for professional distance shots?

I was thinking of getting a D90, with a 70 - 300mm lense, SB900 flash and a difuser. I have a tripod already, but I'm always open to suggestions becaues I want to have professional equipment, which I know can get expensive, but I can get one thing at a time.

Whew, I'm looking at this Nikon D3. Love this one, but I don't have 5 grand right now LOL

Sounds like you'd be satisfied with the D90, and it has *MUCH* better high ISO performance than the D40. There's a world of difference between the two in that regard.

Sounds like you'd be satisfied with the D90, and it has *MUCH* better high ISO performance than the D40. There's a world of difference between the two in that regard.

Sweet! Thanks! :hug::

I went from the D60 up to the D90 and can't tell you how glad I am that I did.
Every aspect of the camera is better, the control, feel, and performance.
I recently shot some night shots of downtown Seattle, handheld, no strobe, and I think they came out pretty decent. The high ISO performance on the D90 is terrific.

Once you get the D90 you will probably really enjoy the 18-105 kit lens that comes with it. I would recommend renting lenses, flashes, etc to get a feel for what they do for you.
Here it's like $25 for a decently expensive lens for a weekend.

I went from the D60 up to the D90 and can't tell you how glad I am that I did.
Every aspect of the camera is better, the control, feel, and performance.
I recently shot some night shots of downtown Seattle, handheld, no strobe, and I think they came out pretty decent. The high ISO performance on the D90 is terrific.

sweet! :thumbup:, are some samples of your pictures on the board that I can see taken with the D90?

Once you get the D90 you will probably really enjoy the 18-105 kit lens that comes with it. I would recommend renting lenses, flashes, etc to get a feel for what they do for you.
Here it's like $25 for a decently expensive lens for a weekend.

I have a 55 - 135mm lense, so I might just get the body only, but I want the 70-300.

Thats a good tip about renting........... I hadn't thought about that! :thumbup:

here are shots I took at a wedding, D40x with the SB600 using a white difuser cap and the 18-55 kit lens.....you should be able to get the same results
DSC_0112.jpg

Most reactions

Back