Greetings... (And Requesting Camera Recommendations)

jay_in_the_life

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I joined this forum to gain tips and knowledge as I set out to hone in on my practice in the area of photography.

I'm currently looking at purchasing a camera, and a friend recommended a DSLR over mirrorless (for now). I told him I would be doing a lot of outdoor shots, mostly focused on people as the subjects (for a small apparel company I've started recently that I want to take a lot of shots for this summer, as well as yoga photography etc). I like the images of @vuoriclothing and @dylanwerneryoga on Instagram for example.

My friend recommended I grab a Nikon D7100 body and a 35mm lens and I'd pretty much be set.

I wanted to see what others thoughts and recommendations were. I'm looking to not spend a lot more than $1000, preferably less if possible.

Thanks everyone!

I ended up purchasing the Nikon D7100 and a 35mm lens after browsing this forum and hearing great things about it. Wow I love this camera! I also picked up Nikon D7100: From Snapshots to Great Shots. Looking forward to learning with this great camera!

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your camera. Modern digital cameras are so good ... I don't think you could buy a bad camera. Good Luck and Good Shooting.

My friend recommended I grab a Nikon D7100 body and a 35mm lens and I'd pretty much be set.
That's an excellent choice! A new D7100 body alone is going for around $700, and that lens is not terribly expensive, so you'll be under your budget.

Do some shopping around. You might be able to find a slightly used D7100 with a lens for even less.

I might have recommended a different lens, but I would need to know more about your intended use.

Welcome to TPF Jay, sorry we were a bit slow to see your request for advice, most of us were probably photographing something or stuck in an editing suite. Your friends recomendation is a good one, a D7100 is more camera than most people will ever need, plus there's loads of room go grow into it. The 35mm prime is a good do a bit of everything lens but for product shots and portraits and I'd gravitate to be at a longer focal length personally because of the way they render subjects tends to be more pleasing to my eye. A 70-200mm or even a 100mm or 135mm prime (if you want sharp and fast) may be worth considering in the future. Right now shoot with what you've got and be assured you have an exremely capable camera and lens combo!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back