Hard Shell Cases

Buckster

In memoriam
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone here using hard shell cases like Pelican or Storm to get their stuff around?

I've decided it's time to go that route for all-in-one compartment storage for my two bodies, several lenses and assorted do-dads, especially for the ease of access to everything with the opening of a single lid. They've got wheels and extended handles like luggage, which will be handy, and I can keep my Lowepro - Photo Trekker AW II (which has become insufficient to carry all I want to take) on standby for when I'm off on photo-hike adventures.

After laying my stuff out and taking some measurements, I'm looking at the Storm Case iM2950 which seems like a good fit for my needs.

Wondering what those of you who use(d) hard shell cases have to say about them, pro and con.

Your insight is appreciated!

For plane and carry on use, I think the best is the pelican 1510 with divider set. Its cheaper than the lowepros and more protective.

292495395.jpg

The only con I can think of is that the case itself is a bit heavy. I usually carry along a cable/lock with a smaller shoulder bag from which I carry only some of the stuff at any one time.

Pelican makes others in different sizes... they are all sealed.

I had a pelican 1600 and loved it. There awesome cases, I usually use Lowepro so I got rid of it, though was thinking about getting a new one as it would probably be better for model shoots now that I am doing more of that. I would probably go with the 1510 right now as that seems like a awesome case. Would still use my Lowepros though.

Hard shell cases from Halliburton, Pelican, and other makers exude a wonderful break-into-my-vehicle-and-steal-me vibe that is unmatched by most other belongings one can own.

Hard shell cases from Halliburton, Pelican, and other makers exude a wonderful break-into-my-vehicle-and-steal-me vibe that is unmatched by most other belongings one can own.
Well, THAT's no fun!

Here's something an internet friend of mine posted elsewhere:

Here is an idea I came up with and it has served me well.
Camouflage can be for more than the wilderness.

I use this to camouflage stuff in my vehicle during Christmas season when I leave stuff in the car, or even when we go shooting and have guns in the car. People see it and think "Man what a nasty f***"...not, "I gotta break in there and steal that"!

Take an old bed sheet and gather up some "clean" trash that won't stink up your car. Take and sew on crap, then stick on napkins etc with a hot glue gun.

ghillietrash.jpg

I've been meaning to make one of these Urban Camoflage Blankets ever since he posted it anyway...

Among all my gear carrying options I also have a Pelican 1510. The 1510 meets TSA requirements for carry-on, which is why I have it. Note: the 1510 won't fit in the overhead bins of the small regional jets.

Hey, my car looks like that naturally!!! (just kidding).

I have used McDonalds fast food bags as wrappers for things left behind in plain site...

Most reactions

Back