Haze problems

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't even got my new DSLR yet (close), but a shot list as long as your arm.

I live in the mountains in So. Cal. There is a great view near me of three mountain ranges one in front of the other. No matter what time of day I look at it, there is so much haze that it just looks like silhouette. I don't know if it's just normal haze or maybe smog. I've tried to shoot it with my P&S and film with bad results. Haze and polarizing filters (on film) didn't seem to help.

Are the newer DSLR's so sophisticated this problem could be helped (like D-90 scene recognition) does Canon have an equivalent? What about filters? Or, could it only be improved in post? In the mean time, I can always wait for snow.

Curious. Thanks, Tom Beard

Which mountains in So. Cal.? How far are you from the ocean or a major city?

There is a lot of dust and smog there and you'd probably do better with a film camera and a 1-A or 1-B Skylight filter. Neither of those will have an effect on a digital camera.

If it's in the air it will show to one degree or another in all photographs.

There is a limit to what might be done in post processing.

San Bernardino Nat. Forrest near Lake Arrowhead. Elev. 6k with the City of San Bernardino on one side and the desert on the other. Yes, theres LOTS of junk in the air. That's why I'm thinking maybe this is a 'no go' shot. Thanks Tom

San Bernardino Nat Forrest near Lake Arrowhead at 6k. The City of San Bernardino is on one side and the desert on the other, and, yes there is LOTS of junk in the air. That's why I'm thinking this may be one of those 'no go' shots. Thanks, Tom

Most reactions

Back