HDD-what??

FeistyFeeFee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if this is where I post this question, but how do I take HDD photos? Is there some special setting that you need to have the camera on or will I need a whole new camera (please don't let the latter be the answer).:blushing:

Do you mean HDR? (High Dynamic Range)

It's typically done by taking multiple photos at different exposure levels, and using software to combine them.

I've never heard of HDD... Usually HDD appears on video cameras and it stands for Hard Disk Drive

Is it possible you are maybe confused? or is this some technique I've never heard of :)

Confusious!!!
I've had alot of people ask me if I take photos in HD.
Many people don't understand what HD really is.
They think it describes a super high resolution image that's never been possible until now with HD, not knowing that it's really just a video format that uses high rez images that although high definition(hi-resolution), aren't as high rez as an image from a good camera.
Modern dSLR's do take hi-def video, but a full rez still(especially a RAW image) is still above and beyond that.
Use your cameras video mode to take high def video.
But at HD's highest setting-1080p, taking stills in RAW mode still gives you much higher dynamic range across the board.

So if you want HD video, turn your dial to movie mode and use a hi-cap SD card!!!

Confusious!!!
Modern dSLR's do take hi-def video, but a full rez still(especially a RAW image) is still above and beyond that.
Use your cameras video mode to take high def video.
But at HD's highest setting-1080p, taking stills in RAW mode still gives you much higher dynamic range across the board.

So if you want HD video, turn your dial to movie mode and use a hi-cap SD card!!!

I don't think my camera has video. It's not this years model it's the 2008 model. If it takes video, that's something new on me, lol.

I've never heard of HDD... Usually HDD appears on video cameras and it stands for Hard Disk Drive

Is it possible you are maybe confused? or is this some technique I've never heard of :)

Yep, it should have been HDR, lol. Sorry about that!!!

Yep, it should have been HDR, lol. Sorry about that!!!

Well, why didn't you say so...:lol: I just did a tutorial in my blog on how to do HDR... just click the link in my Sig...

Do you mean HDR? (High Dynamic Range)

It's typically done by taking multiple photos at different exposure levels, and using software to combine them.

Yep, that is exactly what I meant. I get confused when my son comes in to discuss Family Guy.:grumpy: And this is for all kinds of photos because I'm thinking of taking some beach shots and I want them to be very good.

HDR has it's place though.
Seems to be that using HDR all over the place is in bad taste.

I'm one of those people that's constantly tweaking device and image settings.
So I'm always looking for that extra bit of resolution, and the images I edit in post are never completely finished in my mind.
HDR could give me a higher degree of satisfaction in many cases.
But there's a point where further exposure tweaking will add little more than time until completion.
At a certain point, you're the only one who sees the flaws you're trying to fix.

I say this because IMO, a general beach shoot in daylight does not require HDR.
For an image like that your 2 main concerns would be highlight blowout and contrast.
A sunset/sunrise beach shoot is definitely a candidate though.

HDD = Hard Disk Drive
HD = high def
HDR = a way to make crappy shots look like a picasso painting.

HDD = Hard Disk Drive
HD = high def
HDR = a way to make crappy shots look like a picasso painting.

:angel:

Sounds like you're not doing it right. HDR can make some awesome images that show details where you would never see it with the limited dynamic range of current cameras.

And I'm not sure when HDR images started portraying picasso's paintings, because some of those are really abstract and I've seen some amazing HDR shots that you wouldn't know they were altered unless the photographer told you.

Of course, you could alway jump off the HDR hater's band wagon...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back