Head shots for a client?

TiaS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I had a call for someone looking for a quote for head shots. I have just started advertising and so this is one of my very first clients. She wants a quote and I said that I offer them by the print or on a CD, with the CD being worth more. She wants it for a port foli, and so when its done she only needs 1 or 2 photos. I asked if she had a background color in mind and she said preferably black and white.... the way she said it I think that she was saying that she is looking for black and white head shots. I said that I can present her with both black and white and color. So I have to get back to her with a quote. Since I am new at doing this for clients, I am charging the very low end. Right now it is not about money but about my making a name for myself. But I don't want to be so cheap that it doesn't look like I value my work. I have no portable backgrounds, only a black sheet and a white sheet. So these are my questions:

1- How much to charge? The session itself won't take long and I was thinking $20 for shoot and 5 prints or $30 for shot and the CD
2-What size are head shots printed as?
3- is it terribly unprofessional to use sheets? There is no camera shop in my area and I all I have is sheets
4- if I use sheets how do I hang them? Painters tape not only looks terrible, it actually doesn't work worth a darn for me and they fall down alot
5- I don't have a studio and advertise on location photo sessions. But when she asked if I do head shots I wasn't going to turn this down! Do I do this in their home? Or can I use a solid colored building around town after closing hours?
6- tripod or not? Tripod means I am stuck to one area. I would rather move around to get different angles, sideways looks, head on looks, slightly down or up...

Any tips or ideas would be great. I am using an external flash (no rotation though, only up for bouncing) and bounce card. I have never done a head shot unless I have taken them outdoors as part of an on location photo session with trees and sky, etc. When someone asks for a headshot, I am thinking that I need to show up with a backdrop, set it up, and shoot only head shots against this one backdrop. Never done that before (first time for everything!:). So truly ANY tips are appreciated

Last edited:
You realize you are selling your photography skills, but yet you are asking us all the basic photography-skills questions, right?

But that aside, i shall do my best to answer

1. What quality are your photos?
2. Depends, if she wants them for a portfolio, most like an 8x10
3. Are you a professional? My guess is no. Does the client know you are new to this? If so, i highly doubt they are expecting a grand setup.
4. Duct tape, or try and spread it across a long set of doors, say a closet?
5. Ideally, either in your home or "on location"
6. Do you need a tripod?

I have a few of my own questions; using your flash on a bounce card may be difficult.

But why oh why are you selling headshots when you have never taken them before?!??

In the politest possible way that I can say this.. "You have no place to be advertising for business if you don't have the knowledge and/or equipment to do the job."

If you hired a plumber and they showed up to your door with a cardboard box full of pipe parts, some duct tape and one screwdriver, what would you do?

I realize that I am asking basic questions about headshots. My photos are high quality and can be printed at 16x20 if they so choose. I am new to doing photography for clients but have done on location photo shoots with mostly candid shots and a few more posed shots from the same session. When it comes to headshots I am new to it. I have taken them when taking candid photos on a shoot but not an actual pre-planned head shot shoot. Why did I offer to do it? I am merely giving a quote. When i give the quote I will explain that I am an on location photographer and headshots will have to be done at an outdoor location. I said I could do it because I have taken some nice head shots along with candid shots so I know I can do it with what I have. I am asking basic questions so I can preplan the best that I can if they choose me.

I'm not talking about digital quality. Sure, give a crappy photography a $40,000 hasselblad, and the photo's will still suck. May we see some examples of your candids and or other portraits?

I simply don't understand this whole "start a business before you have a clue what you are doing" thing. I just don't.

Yeah, I am pretty new to the backdrop photography. I am much more in my comfort zone with outdoor photo shoots. I will see about some pics to post...

Why don't you refer this "customer" to someone who has done this before? In the meantime you can start practicing and learning using your friends and family.

If you don't have any studio lighting I would do the head-shots outside, unless you have really good ambient light in your house then that *should* be enough. I wouldn't go to the clients house without knowing what the lighting was like, she could live in a basement apartment for all you know. If it were me in your situation I would ask what she was using the headshots for and find an according city/town backdrop.

I simply don't understand this whole "start a business before you have a clue what you are doing" thing. I just don't.

You are CLEARLY old fashioned sir. Now a days, it is the hip thing to go and start a business, a restaurant say, then a week later post on a forum posing the question "Do i serve food, or...?"

Last edited:
1- How much to charge? The session itself won't take long and I was thiWnking $20 for shoot and 5 prints or $30 for shot and the CD Multiply this by five at a minimum
2-What size are head shots printed as? Whatever size the client asks for
3- is it terribly unprofessional to use sheets? There is no camera shop in my area and I all I have is sheets Yes. VERY.
4- if I use sheets how do I hang them? Painters tape not only looks terrible, it actually doesn't work worth a darn for me and they fall down alot See above.
5- I don't have a studio and advertise on location photo sessions. But when she asked if I do head shots I wasn't going to turn this down! Do I do this in their home? Or can I use a solid colored building around town after closing hours? :lmao:
6- tripod or not? Tripod means I am stuck to one area. I would rather move around to get different angles, sideways looks, head on looks, slightly down or up... I've got nothing left!

Any tips or ideas would be great. I am using an external flash (no rotation though, only up for bouncing) and bounce card. I have never done a head shot unless I have taken them outdoors as part of an on location photo session with trees and sky, etc. When someone asks for a headshot, I am thinking that I need to show up with a backdrop, set it up, and shoot only head shots against this one backdrop. Never done that before (first time for everything!:). So truly ANY tips are appreciated
The best tip I can offer is: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it!

TiaS,

I was just on your facebook and your website.

You need to work on your composition & lighting.

Also, just a word of advice, the gallery scroller thing you are using on your website is horrible. There is no way for me to back up or foward through, only play at the specified speed and to pause. You can't enlarge much more than 3x4 either from that scroller.

Most reactions

Back