Headshot for acting?

CA_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$hs.jpg

I'm doing some indie films here in FL and I am in need of a headshot. This is a self portrait for a headshot, but I'm very very unfamiliar with all the rules in the headshot area of photograph (seems that there are quite a few). Is this shot in the right direction? C&C Please!

Wrong direction, literally. 90 degrees wrong - that is, a head shot is a portrait, ergo best results are usually obtained by shooting in portrait orientation! ;) It's a good start, but orientation aside, your right (image left) side is way too dark. As-is, this isn't going to cut it; for all I know you're hiding a huge scar on your cheek. Bring a second light in, camera left 1 - 1 1/3 stops below key, and have a reflector close under your chin to add some fill, and get either a hair or background light to separate your from the background (or go outside).

No, this is all wrong for the purpose you need it for. Portrait orientation and no smile. It should be basic and just show features. You need a profile as well. But a head shot is not a portrait.

Correct orientation if you're going for headshots for acting for film.
Movies are horizontal, your natural sight is horizontal.

Watch your tilt.

Eyes above the centerline of the frame looks better too.

Really? Cause out of all the actors that I know that are constantly going for auditions, not a single one of them has a horizontal headshot that they submit... I'm fairly certain industry standard... no matter *what* part you're going for... is portrait orientation.

But hell, what do I know? :lol: ::shrugs::

Really? Cause out of all the actors that I know that are constantly going for auditions, not a single one of them has a horizontal headshot that they submit... I'm fairly certain industry standard... no matter *what* part you're going for... is portrait orientation.

Yup!
And one of the most successful headshot photographers in world agrees with me.

Yup!

Interesting. :lol:

Yup!

I guess the reason you don't see a single one from this guy is because your "actors" couldn't afford him. :lol:

;)

Yup!
Name please? I'm just being nosey, I'd like to see what he does.

Yup!
Actor's Headshots Photographer in New York City & Los Angeles | Peter Hurley Photography, Modeling Head Shots (NYC and LA)

Or you could just google search "Best headshot photographers in the world"

Last edited:
Yup!

I guess the reason you don't see a single one from this guy is because your "actors" couldn't afford him. :lol:

;)

My "actors" are as legit as anyone else in NYC trying to make it. They take their sh*t seriously. They pay for their head shots, they don't come onto TPF lookin' for freebies. :lmao: No need for quotation marks. :greenpbl: :sexywink:

Yup!
Actor's Headshots Photographer in New York City & Los Angeles | Peter Hurley Photography, Modeling Head Shots (NYC and LA)

Ah I've heard of this dude. Mainly because he's usually plastered all over MM... and one time someone was poking fun at a banner advertising for a headshot workshop he was putting together, but the picture in the ad wasn't a headshot... it was some half-naked chick lounging across the ad. :lol:

He's certainly good... I just thought that was funny. :lol:

Sex sells I guess. :biglaugh:

Ah I've heard of this dude. Mainly because he's usually plastered all over MM... and one time someone was poking fun at a banner advertising for a headshot workshop he was putting together, but the picture in the ad wasn't a headshot... it was some half-naked chick lounging across the ad. :lol:

Or the best headshots in the industry sell.
But what do I know.

Or the best headshots in the industry sell.
But what do I know.

I was talking about the ad for the workshop :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back