Help a newb take good pictures tomorrow (Thanksgiving)

As for the UV filters, I have bought everything online except for my Tamrac backpack (to my local shop's dismay). Only about $100-worth of UV, not the end of the world. They CAN be useful outside, right?
Nope, sorry. UV is filtered for you inside the camera already.

Or are you guys telling me they are a complete waste no matter what?
Pretty much. Sorry. Unless you have a film camera they'll fit on - you could use them for that.

Many still use filters just for the front element's protection. I have them on for everyday use, as I'm still practicing and learning the ins/outs. When I'm shooting something "important" I take them off.

Also, mine are Hoya filters about 100.00 each so the quality of the filter is close to the quality of the lens. The main point is, dont put a 10.00 filter on a 500, 1000, or 2000 dollar lens. I think you said you are an IT guy? You wouldn't shell out hundreds of bucks for USB 3.0 devices if you were connecting them to USB 1-2.0 ports? You'd hit a bottle neck. (think thats a similar analogy ... :)

Last edited:
Thanksgiving has almost gone. I hope you had a great one. Post a pic so we can see how you did :)...if you dare!!!

Thanksgiving has almost gone. I hope you had a great one. Post a pic so we can see how you did :)...if you dare!!!
Ha, ha, will do my friend. :) Still at the in-laws but I sure will when I get home. We have 2 Thanksgivings, my parents and the in-laws, still not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing with the waistline, lol.

I am new to photography and in the last 6 weeks bought the following:

Canon EOS T3i KIT w/18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM prime
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Manfrotto MK293A3-A0RC2
Outfitted all 3 58mm lenses with Canon UV filters.
Tamrac backpack to carry all of the above, plus several class 10 32GB SD cards, etc.

Just last Saturday I had my first one-on-one DSLR class with the owner of my local shop, it was very, very helpful but now I need to apply my knowledge at 2 Thanksgiving dinners tomorrow. I don't want to spoil the whole day with bad pictures, especially since its my 6-week old's first Thanksgiving. I've been shooting in "P" mode since I bought the rig because I KNOW I'm not ready for "M" and I'm not looing for point-n-shoot with the auto settings. I just wanted to see what you recommended I shoot in tomorrow (P, AV, TV) to get some good pictures tomorrow, maybe any tips you may have for this beginner. I plan on using my primarry lens: 18-135mm and may occasionally flip to my 50-prime, I will be indoors with a decently lit house and the forecast for tomorrow is partly cloudy.

Thanks in advance everybody! I appreciate any help you give, this is my first event with more than just my wife, daughter and I, and I'm pretty excited.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I know thanksgiving is all bit done. But personally I would ditch the 18-55 and the 75-300 and only carry around the 18-135 and the 50. The 18-135 covers the 18-55 and unless the 75-300 is the IS model it's kind of a crap lens. Just my opinion from starting out with a similar setup.

I am new to photography and in the last 6 weeks bought the following:

Canon EOS T3i KIT w/18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM prime
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Manfrotto MK293A3-A0RC2
Outfitted all 3 58mm lenses with Canon UV filters.
Tamrac backpack to carry all of the above, plus several class 10 32GB SD cards, etc.

Just last Saturday I had my first one-on-one DSLR class with the owner of my local shop, it was very, very helpful but now I need to apply my knowledge at 2 Thanksgiving dinners tomorrow. I don't want to spoil the whole day with bad pictures, especially since its my 6-week old's first Thanksgiving. I've been shooting in "P" mode since I bought the rig because I KNOW I'm not ready for "M" and I'm not looing for point-n-shoot with the auto settings. I just wanted to see what you recommended I shoot in tomorrow (P, AV, TV) to get some good pictures tomorrow, maybe any tips you may have for this beginner. I plan on using my primarry lens: 18-135mm and may occasionally flip to my 50-prime, I will be indoors with a decently lit house and the forecast for tomorrow is partly cloudy.

Thanks in advance everybody! I appreciate any help you give, this is my first event with more than just my wife, daughter and I, and I'm pretty excited.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I know thanksgiving is all bit done. But personally I would ditch the 18-55 and the 75-300 and only carry around the 18-135 and the 50. The 18-135 covers the 18-55 and unless the 75-300 is the IS model it's kind of a crap lens. Just my opinion from starting out with a similar setup.
Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing. My main 2 lenses have been my 18-135 and 50mm, my other 2 hardly see any use these days. I plan to pickup a really nice telephoto once the need arises, (next big vacation, etc.).

Everything below was shot using AV on my T3i and Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. The photos are shown in sequential order as far as time of day is concerned, which is why the ISO creeped up as they progress, though I'm not sure why the first one was 3200. Minimal post processing performed via Apple Aperture.

ISO 3200 f/4
$1RS1.jpg

ISO 800 f/4
$1RS2.jpg

ISO 800 f/4.5
$1RS3.jpg

ISO 800 f/5.6
$1RS4.jpg

ISO 3200 f/4.5
$1RS5.jpg

ISO 6400 f/4
$1RS6.jpg

ISO 6400 f/4
$1RS7.jpg

The biggest challenge to shooting photos at my parents house yesterday was that many of the photos (not pictured) were taken in front of a bright picture window or bright sliding glass window, I found in many of them the windows were pretty washed out and in many cases you couldn't see the detail outside. I was taught how to correct this in class but couldn't recall it yesterday, not the biggest deal- I'll get there as I keep experimenting with settings.

Thanks to all for your help and advice, many of the pictures turned out well, looking forward to learning more and more to turn out even better pictures in the future! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Wow that bird looks great. Bottom pics ppear a little warm or orangish, a little WB adjustment will fix that
bigthumb.gif

Wow that bird looks great. Bottom pics ppear a little warm or orangish, a little WB adjustment will fix that
bigthumb.gif
Yeah it was very dim in my in-laws house when pictures 5 and 6 were taken, by then it was about 6pm EST so it was fully dark here in Michigan. I was trying to compensate by adjusting the exposure but I see what you mean, some white balance would help there.

The last pic was taken at our place tonight, there was a light on behind me, the foyer and the tree lights also assisted with lighting. Our living room is a bit dim normally, I tend to use my 50mm in here but used my 18-135 for all of the above.

EDIT: I was able to correct some of the white balance issues via Apple Aperture, images above updated to reflect new versions.

Last edited:
Wow that last pic is my favorite. You really got down like a photographer!! :) If you are just starting out, make sure to watch as many FREE videos as you can on youtube..I prefer B&H Photography videos. I watch one or two everyday. I just watched one about a one strobe off camera lighting set up. Fun stuff. Thank you for posting. I didn't get to spend thanksgiving with anyone so it warms my heart to remember my childhood when I would have been in photos much like yours. (can of pepsi in one hand and all!!)

Cute little one! Thanks for posting the photos & info. I have the T4i with 18-135mm IS STM & 40mm IS STM and this thread has been helpful. Did you shoot Raw? If JPEG, what picture style? I've been shooting Raw and haven't tried out the picture styles yet.

Wow that last pic is my favorite. You really got down like a photographer!! :) If you are just starting out, make sure to watch as many FREE videos as you can on youtube..I prefer B&H Photography videos. I watch one or two everyday. I just watched one about a one strobe off camera lighting set up. Fun stuff. Thank you for posting. I didn't get to spend thanksgiving with anyone so it warms my heart to remember my childhood when I would have been in photos much like yours. (can of pepsi in one hand and all!!)
Yeah I had fun with that one! Set my focal point to my daughters head so the background, including my wife and the tree, would be blurry. Wish I had taken the same shot with my prime to see the difference.

I'll definitely check out YouTube, thanks for the suggestion and recommendation. I read KenRockwell.com a lot, lots of good reading there.

Sorry to hear you we're alone on TG, glad my picture could provide some enjoyment! :)

Cute little one! Thanks for posting the photos & info. I have the T4i with 18-135mm IS STM & 40mm IS STM and this thread has been helpful. Did you shoot Raw? If JPEG, what picture style? I've been shooting Raw and haven't tried out the picture styles yet.
Thank you! :) Anytime!

I shot JPEG but I'm not sure what picture style, I know I didn't change anything so whatever the default is, auto maybe? I can check tomorrow and get some details pertaining to my settings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back