What's new

Help & Advice: What camera to buy to start professional photograpghy

Well i'm just going to jump in and say that as a "professional" your deff going to need a backup. So whatever everyone is suggesting......buy 2 :D


good luck with everything
-gian
 
Hardrock - you need to see this: Kidding
:)


tender_heart - as several have said you first need to be more clear with your intentions in going professional. There are massive areas of professional photography and each area will have different demands and requirements that will start to help defining what gear will be best suited toward your area. Also as well as the gear and photography side (both very key areas of course) you need to also consider the business side of things and how you will run your professional work in whatever field(s) you choose.
I have no doubt that you are just starting and that this is obviously only your early steps - its good that you have a longer term plan to your photography and an idea of where you would like to head. Don't rush it, but take time to stop - consider and make the right choices as well as to get as full an understanding of the art of photography (in your field area as well as outside of it).


And JimmyO - you give 13 year old photographers a bad name......
 
Oh and I dont care what anyone says a top of the line professional camera and lens will always take a better picture than a beginner or entry level camera. Go ask any pro!
Do you realize the irony packed into that statement? Just wondering.

Not to mention you're wrong. If you can't compose an interesting picture, the most expensive equipment in the world isn't going to save you.

I said nothing about composing or if its interesting. If you take the same shot with both a top of the line camera and low end or entry level camera there will be a difference in quality!

Not really. An XTI with a 10MP sensor would take nearly identical quality pictures as a 30D (two cameras that were current at the time) with an 8mp sensor.
 
Hardrock - you need to see this: Kidding
:)


tender_heart - as several have said you first need to be more clear with your intentions in going professional. There are massive areas of professional photography and each area will have different demands and requirements that will start to help defining what gear will be best suited toward your area. Also as well as the gear and photography side (both very key areas of course) you need to also consider the business side of things and how you will run your professional work in whatever field(s) you choose.
I have no doubt that you are just starting and that this is obviously only your early steps - its good that you have a longer term plan to your photography and an idea of where you would like to head. Don't rush it, but take time to stop - consider and make the right choices as well as to get as full an understanding of the art of photography (in your field area as well as outside of it).


And JimmyO - you give 13 year old photographers a bad name......

Unfortunately Im at work so the site is blocked. I will have to check it out when I get home unless you would like to elaborate.
 
Essentiaily its an article which compares a Canon G10 with a Hasselblad H2 and Phase One P45+back and that there was a rather surprising result when comparing the resulting prints from each. I'd also say its written a heck of a lot better than KenRockwell ;). I'll let the article speak for itself though so do give it a read when you get the chance.
 
Do you realize the irony packed into that statement? Just wondering.

Not to mention you're wrong. If you can't compose an interesting picture, the most expensive equipment in the world isn't going to save you.

I said nothing about composing or if its interesting. If you take the same shot with both a top of the line camera and low end or entry level camera there will be a difference in quality!

Not really. An XTI with a 10MP sensor would take nearly identical quality pictures as a 30D (two cameras that were current at the time) with an 8mp sensor.

I believe those are pretty close together in the lineup. I was talking more about the differences in a Xs or XSi compared to the 1D series. And yes the 1D series has a lot more functions but I gurantee the quality of the image is going to be better. I do realize the camera does not make the photographer but the there is a difference in quality or the cameras would not sell.
 
^Those were both very good articles.
 
Essentiaily its an article which compares a Canon G10 with a Hasselblad H2 and Phase One P45+back and that there was a rather surprising result when comparing the resulting prints from each. I'd also say its written a heck of a lot better than KenRockwell ;). I'll let the article speak for itself though so do give it a read when you get the chance.

Thanks Overread I will check it out tonight. My one question is would you trade your Canon 40d with macro lens in for a Canon G10 with rayonex filter?
 
400D not a 40d (would like one though!) ;)
And that is actually a hard question to answer since macro depth of field from the G10 would be superior to a DSLR macro shot. Working distance though would be ultra close and that would make things harder with the G10. For me though the controls of the G10 would be what would be the hardest thing to get used to - I have very little to no experience of using a point and shoot camera well and I am so used to DSLR controls that the view modes and such of a point and shoot actually drive me mad. Though a G10 has manual modes its focusing is still not as nice as my manual macro lens.


I do get your meaning and the article also goes onto to prove the similar point; however I think its important to remember that photography is two things - technical and artistic. One can create fantastic images with simple gear as well as with pro end gear - whilst one can also create total rubbish with pro end gear. So to say that pro end gear is always better is a false statement - rather its better to understand that pro end gear has less limitations and more advantages then lesser gear and also tends to be more adaptive to new situations and thus has its superiority.
 
400D not a 40d (would like one though!) ;)
And that is actually a hard question to answer since macro depth of field from the G10 would be superior to a DSLR macro shot. Working distance though would be ultra close and that would make things harder with the G10. For me though the controls of the G10 would be what would be the hardest thing to get used to - I have very little to no experience of using a point and shoot camera well and I am so used to DSLR controls that the view modes and such of a point and shoot actually drive me mad. Though a G10 has manual modes its focusing is still not as nice as my manual macro lens.


I do get your meaning and the article also goes onto to prove the similar point; however I think its important to remember that photography is two things - technical and artistic. One can create fantastic images with simple gear as well as with pro end gear - whilst one can also create total rubbish with pro end gear. So to say that pro end gear is always better is a false statement - rather its better to understand that pro end gear has less limitations and more advantages then lesser gear and also tends to be more adaptive to new situations and thus has its superiority.

Overread,I always appreciate your advice and opinions on this forum. But I personally just have to disagree until I can see results for myself. I guess I just dont understand when can a beginner camera out perform a professional model. Unless you are trying to fit it in a purse.
 
Well if you want a camera that fits in a purse (or in a small underwater camera housing) then some "lesser" tools are far better than the "greater" tools. This is not really an argument/debate on which is the better but rather that of taking the viewpoints that firstly different tools have different areas and situations where they are advantageus over others and also that the skills (and familiarity) of the user of those tools is also a very key consideration.

On the macro front I think you might be able to see:
Sign In to talkwildlife.com - talkwildlife.com
or
http://api.ning.com/files/EoNhinxv6...xWL5UMcW-v9uVTMJU2FoSbsBHbdpfA/973474058.jpeg
if not then you might have to register to the site... Failing that its the result of a Panasonic Lumix bridge camera and a raynox dcr150 - around £325 in total cost. So not an entry level point and shoot by any means, but less in cost than most entry level DSLRs
 
Fair enough. Thanks for the sites!
 
The medium format Leica S2 or Red One would be unwieldy out in the field,

A little off topic but the local store had an S2 for a short while (No.. I didn't have the pleasure but they were demo'g it). The camera is intended to be field capable and perfectly fine for it. The body itself isn't much larger than the R8 or R9 with DMR but the lenses were definitely larger.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom