HELP: How does a photographer's origin influence their perception of culture?

About Garbz comment about nude photography, my essay is about comparing the type of pictures that photographers take who explore different cities around the world and definitely has NOTHING to do with nude photography.

Doh, why didn't you say that to begin with :)

and if there is a part of photography where culture and society does NOT matter much, it's nude photography - nude photographers throw away social norms and perspectives much faster then people who shot barns and portraits - it's a very individual form of expression most of the time. It might reflect your background and influences, but they are rarely as culturally based as in other fields of photography, since you mostly have to overcome some social norms to be taking nudes at all. When you take a barn you don't have to overcome any norms, so they still show in your work.

If nude photography is the cause of any argument, it's usually about the cultural standards of the viewer, NOT the photographer.

Indeed I somewhat agree, but since the examples I linked to above the photographers of this board ARE the viewers it was still perfectly relevant. ... Err before I heard about the whole taking photos of cities thing. Although while I understand where you're coming from if you go through the threads linked and happen to know the backgrounds and specifically the locations of some of the forum members, you'd realise the comments are very culturally based. Granted only the western perspective is portrayed, but you can see some very distinct differences in opinions about the subject by the Europeans vs Australians for instance which is why I linked it in the first place.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/member.php?u=24049About Garbz comment about nude photography, my essay is about comparing the type of pictures that photographers take who explore different cities around the world and definitely has NOTHING to do with nude photography.

I can't help feeling that your caveat above would have avoided an awful lot of misunderstanding had you put it in your initial question.

Simply put, without the appropriate cultural awareness to draw on, any 'foreign' photographer is likely to miss what is culturally significant in a society that is not their own.

Yeah, that last bit kinda throws the whole questionnaire way off. WTH???

lila.dream said:
About Garbz comment about nude photography, my essay is about comparing the type of pictures that photographers take who explore different cities around the world and definitely has NOTHING to do with nude photography.

As the others said, posting this in the first thread might have given you better answers and less confusion. I also think you have to understand that you might be the first, or at least one of the first people to put up a comparative analysis of Arab and Western photographers perspectives. That basically means you have a lot of research in front of you which is going to be quite demanding. You should get at least five "representative" Arab photographers (you probably know these better than most people on the forum), and the same number of Western photographers. If you are able to make a good comparative analysis that emphasizes your point, you got yourself an essay. In not, you'll have to re-think if your point is valid. And don't forget, photography is not pure self-expression, it's also about conveying something to the viewer, therefore the viewpoint of the viewer is sometimes as important (or even more important) to the photographer than his own.

Indeed I somewhat agree, but since the examples I linked to above the photographers of this board ARE the viewers it was still perfectly relevant.

While they certainly are photographers, very few (if any) are (amateur or pro doesn't matter) nude photographers. In my opinion, their opinions are only relevant if any of those photographers actually shot and displayed any nudes to anybody except their models, and I'm really wondering how many of the people in those threads did... It's like asking me about cultural influences in self-expression concerning wedding photography - since I never took any a wedding photographs, you might say my opinion is that of an educated viewer, rather than that of a photographer.

1. In your opinion, what is photography?
When a man and a woman have intercourse

[FONT=&quot]2. What do you focus on when taking a photograph? Why?
I try to focus on the pedestrians the most, if they manage to dodge the car I can always
reverse and hit them

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. How does the capturing of new photographs create meaning?
Depending on the strain of spiders, it may be poisonous
[/FONT]
4. In your opinion, do you think that nationality or the background of the photographer influence the pictures they take?
Only when eating breakfast without ketchup

5. Do you think that the nationality or origin of the photographer influence the views of their own country and other countries?
Ride the lightning baby

6. Do you think that an emotional connection is created between the photographer and whatever the photographer is taking a picture of? (Maybe it is something we admire, something we fear or something that invokes our curiosity).
Once in a while the wolf howles in the night for iced tea. the wolf will never get the tea.

Since were doing your homework for you, your teacher should love these.

Chris of Arabia…been as you live in the Arab world I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer some of the questions that I asked. I would be interested in your opinion.
Thank you for your help Samriel. You really made me think of some very important issues concerning my essay.

lila.dream Asked:

1. In your opinion, what is photography?

Photography (from Greek φωτο and γραφία) is the process and art of recording pictures by means of capturing light on a light-sensitive medium, such as a film or an electronic sensor.

It's amazing just how many people give this answer, or something similar, when asked this question.
A little thought and it can be seen that it is far from satisfactory as an answer as it does not explain anything but is merely a definition.
It's like responding to the question 'what is Art?' with 'it's just a bunch of marks on paper'.
On a very basic level Photography is about the recording of light, but it is so much more than that.
It explains nothing about it's use, it's cultural significance or the intention of the person behind the camera.
And it does not make clear that Photography is, in fact, two separate acts:
1) The act of taking the picture.
2) The act of viewing the picture.
If the viewer is not the photographer then the two have no point of contact except the image.
The photographer will have their intentions, but the viewer will be the one ascribing meaning and significance.
In short, a photograph has no existence until it is viewed, and it's meaning and significance will be different for each viewer.
Then there is the Cultural dimension.
Think of all the uses Photography is put to. How similar in intent and usage is the picture on your driving license to a dental X-ray of your teeth to an aerial photograph of your house or a paparazzi photo of you sneaking out of a hotel with someone else's spouse?
The similarities are that they are all about you: they define, to some extent, a part of your existence at a certain time.
But what are the differences?
Answer that question, bearing in mind what I have said above about photographer and viewer, and you will find the answers to the other questions. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you so much Hertz van Rental for your help :)
You really helped me out and I will try to work some of the things you said into my essay. Could you please give me your full name so that I reference what you said and your ideas. I would like to ask you some more questions if you do not mind because you seem to know a lot about photography.
I really appreciate that you took the time to comment on this thread.

Thank you.
It's nice to be appreciated here instead of argued with or slapped down :lol:

I have been working on what seems to have become the Philosophy of Photography (or Principia Photographica) for the past 20 years or so.
It's started as an intended PhD on the signification of images but once I realised that no-one had even managed to successfully define Photography I got side-tracked.
Once I have all my notes and researches hammered into shape I intend to publish it on the Net.
But don't hold your breath - I've got a lot more to do yet.

PS I don't wish to make my real name public by posting it on here, nor do I wish to publicise my e-mail account*, and you haven't made enough posts to rate PM privileges yet.
If you can make some more posts to get over the threshold then I can PM you more details.
You could also try searching the archives here.
I have made some posts on relevant topics in amongst the humour and trivia.

* I have an unpleasant ex-wife who delights in stalking me.

Last edited:
How many posts do I have to make in order to get PM privileges??

Last edited:
I think it is something like 25... or maybe 45.
It's easy enough done.
Just go to a Gallery and post a :hail: in every thread.

:lmao:

Chris of Arabia…been as you live in the Arab world I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer some of the questions that I asked. I would be interested in your opinion.
Thank you for your help Samriel. You really made me think of some very important issues concerning my essay.

Not sure what your timescale is, but I have an exam in 2 days time that I need to finish up my preparation on. If you can hang fire until after then, then I can perhaps give the questions some consideration.

Not one of your better responses David :er:

Just a joke man, these questions are like right out of photography 102. Why should we answer his essay questions for him?

These are not interview questions from the look of it they are for him to
discover from reading his textbook and researching , not posting the verbatim questions on a forum and taking random peoples answers as his own.

I had to kick my butt to do these essays , why should I give him my answers ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back