Help me out.....what do you think

mishele

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
contest.jpg

I m just starting out and i m having fun w/ flowers. First what do you think and what can i do better!!! Thanks mishele

Real nice composition :thumbup:. Otherwise, I'm missing a definite point of focus, and it could do with some contrast.

Ah, I see the focus on the edge of the petal (more or less) just to the right of the stem. Would like to see that focus on the petal right in front here, or somewhere else that makes sense... Make sense? ;)

Thanks! I knew the shot looked nice but didnt know what it was missing to put it over the edge. Or maybe this shot could never be mind blowing.

anybody have anything else to say?

I'm missing the focus too. What focus distance was this shot at? If you were at the minimum, even at f/3.2 the DoF will be very shallow. A little more room to manoeuvre might help.

Focus is off as mentioned and you could probably push the contrast a bit. Compositionally it looks like most of your lines point towards the bottom of the frame and yet there is nothing there (almost looks like this is a crop of a larger photo). It's ok, but if you had hit the focus on something interesting like that water droplet in the back, it would make the photo a lot better IMO.

This shot wasnt cropped at all. The focus is at the top of the stem. It was hard to get the front pedal in focus. I guess i was too close w/ the lens I was using. I m going to change my setting and let you guys mess w/ the photo if you would like. :sexywink:

Thanks again!!
I m having fun hearing what people have to say about my shot. I have more flower shots to come.

What camera are you using? The exif is there but no camera is listed.

When you're doing macro photography it's a good idea to use a higher f/stop value so that the DOF gets deeper so that more of the subject is in focus.

Canon EOS 5D lens......100mm Macro

Canon EOS 5D lens......100mm Macro

At f/3.2, there isn't enough DOF... It looks like the DOF here is *maybe* 1/8". Your shutter speed was 1/1000th, so you could probably have stopped down 2 more stops (f/11, or something near that) and still had a hand-holdable shutter speed.

Last edited:
I have messed around w/ the contrast today and I just dont know what I like better. But THANK YOU to everyone for your input!!

First things first. You do need to compose what you actually want to be as the center of focus. When I look at that picture I do not have an object that grabs my attention.
Second: Lighting. Dim the lights down on the subject and then illuminate it from the bottom to fill the flower with light and make it pop.
Third: What camera / Lens setup are you shooting with? I try to stop down to a lower F/stop... F/8 or so. (if you can)
And lastly: I would get a piece of cardboard and cover it in some kind of black fabric or paper allowing you to get all the focus on the flower itself and nothing else.
Looking forward to seeing updates. :)

Daniel Sach
Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

The flower was in my garden so there was no changing the lighting. I will have another chance coming up here, I have another plant that is about to bloom. We will see if I learned anything......;)

Most reactions

Back