Help needed! Material used for backgrounds..

cfm_gen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

My question is regarding materials used for backgrounds. We are taking photographs of gems using a Rebel T2i attached to a microscope. Some of the gems/stones can be smaller in nature, forcing us to increase the magnification to higher levels. As of right now a peice of black matte velvet felt is being used.

The velvet does work well with larger gems, however under increased magnification the pitts and valleys tend to appear. This changes the black background into a textured looking one.

If anyone can suggest a black(perferably not shinny) material that could be used to produce a even black finish under magnification, I would be very happy :)

Thanks all :)

Nathan

Thank you Denny Crane for youre helpful post..

Christie Photo : Unfortunately it would be very difficult near impossible to keep the light from spilling onto the background. We use a couple of lights from different angles to excite certain parts of the gem/stone being photographed. Thank you for the suggestion though.

...it would be very difficult near impossible to keep the light from spilling onto the background. We use a couple of lights from different angles to excite certain parts of the gem/stone being photographed.

Hmmm....

I can't envision your setup. Is there no way to place "go-betweens" (gobos) to shade the area of the background that's in view? It shouldn't take much.

-Pete

Have no background & use flash. At least not a close background, this should create the black due to light fall off.

The velvet does work well with larger gems, however under increased magnification the pitts and valleys tend to appear. This changes the black background into a textured looking one.
Have you tried constructing a post, with a concave rounded top, that can stand up and hold the gem or stone? Even better would be one that can be used with a dap of temporary glue that was attach from behind and be unseen. That would get some distance between the subject and the background.

just went to fabricland to pick u some different colored backdrops, they have great matte fabric which is heavier than the photography store stuff and twice as cheap. Hit up your nearest fabric store for some whites and blacks, not to mention other verities of colors

Most reactions

New Topics

Back