Help with lens for Landscape, wide angle?

Propella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a really keen landscape and seascape photographer, and have a Canon 450d - I use a screw on adapter lens (cheap and cheerful) but would like to upgrade this.....when I search for wide angled lens on amazon or e-bay...I get confused by the items offerred, What am I looking for?
:confused:

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
Well... I guess none of us can say for sure, BUT, if what you want to shoot is broad landscape expanses then one option is shooting them as a panorama. All you need is a tripod and there's lots of free 'stitching' software that will help you put them together.

In general terms (as I'm not a Canonite and can't speak to brand specifics) a wide-angle lens is considered one with a focal length of less than 50mm; as a species, they provide more depth of field and a wider field of few. There are both manufacturer made and third party options, ranging from a couple of hundred dollars to several thousand, and there is also the question of whether you prefer a prime or zoom.

Is there a buget you have, and/or a questions about a specific item?

TCampbell

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You may use any lens designed for Canon EOS bodies (as long as it's not made specifically for the new "EOS-M"). That means you can use EF or EF-S lenses. There are also a number of 3rd party companies (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.)

I would suggest you look at lenses in the 10-22mm focal length range.

For example:
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens Review
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM Lens Review
Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Lens Review
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX Lens Review

I think in all these reviews he says he prefers the Canon version.

You can go to pixel-peeper.com and select any lens to see hundreds of examples of images taken by that lens. For example: Full-size sample photos from Canon 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used to own the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, it was a great lens. I only sold it because I upgraded to a 'full frame' camera, which isn't compatible with EF-S lenses.

I've heard plenty of good reviews about the Sigma 10-20mm, specifically that's it's almost as good as the Canon 10-22mm...but much less expensive.

The other options mentioned by Tim, are certainly worth looking at.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics