Help with Lens selection please

Rosy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:lol:I am going to take some images of my family in a park. Which lens would be best - Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 OR Nikon 85mm OR nikon 70-300mm. I have a speedlight, is it necessary? ALSO best time of day to take outdoor shots and LASTLY, best web-site to choose for family poses. OK - i think I've asked enough THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOU

Why not use all the lenses?

^^ What Tyler said. Every lens has different characteristics. Take them all and try them, as far as poses, Google is your friend. You could try wandering through Flickr for a while as well.

:lol:I am going to take some images of my family in a park. Which lens would be best - Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 OR Nikon 85mm OR nikon 70-300mm. I have a speedlight, is it necessary? ALSO best time of day to take outdoor shots and LASTLY, best web-site to choose for family poses. OK - i think I've asked enough THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOU

I would say Tamron 17-50 for group shots and best time would be dusk or dawn although middle of the day can work as well if the pictures will be taken in shadey areas. Sun can be a little harsh sometimes.
85mm is more of a portrait lens and I don't really see the point bringing this to a park although it could also be used
70-300 - if the kids will be running around playing, this is a lens which will give you the opportunity to track them on the fields from distance
Speedlight outdoors can be tricky and if there is plenty of sun, I dont really see a point using a speedlight unless you will be trying to obtain certain shots (can also come in handy though)

I don't have a website for ideas, but be creative with the shots and see what works best; also If i were you, I'd bring the whole lineup :) that's what I normally do regardless... I like to be covered although it can get heavy after a while of carrying

thank you so much. i'm kicking myself for not joining tpf sooner

i would bring flash for fill flash.. use the 85 for single pictures of kids or couple and such.. use 70-300 to get the in between shots like have them play on the swings or go down the slide or something. 17-50 for group shots... dusk is best light (IMO) and for ideas you can use google and then click on images... also if you have a smartphone. you can download an app i have one for my phone it is called droidiris... this app lets me search google images and pull them up on my phone... i will go to this if i am just having a total brain fart, it also works if i am having trouble explaining what i am going for .:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back