help

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
as you know, 99.9 % of my subjects are stationary, however, im starting to like people photography more and more; especially action. im sure i should be using manual focusing but how do you get dead on with manual just at the second you need to? trail and error? i shot a bunch of these sunday but only the distant ones came out halfa**. i would like to know how you guys would have approached this shot. i caught the ball :biglaugh:

20044233-L.jpg

im no expert, but maybe a faster shutter could help freeze the action?

Also someone once told me that using a flash in action/sports photography, even though it may be broad daylight will help capture the action if its at a reasonable distance.

hope these suggestions help, if you havent already tried them

good luck with your next attempts

I'm not sure the problem in this photo is catching the action. The guys in the backgroun look like they're in pretty good focus. The best suggestion I have is using an autofocus if its available and fast enough. Its really hard to get action crisp, so use whatever tool you have in your arsenal.

On the other hand, if you want to use the manual focus. I know 2 ways to have this work the best. One focus on an area where the action is likely to come and wait. I've heard of this strategy used a lot. Secondly, find where the action is, trail it in your lens and try to keep focus, when you're happy w/ focus snap one off.

Keep in mind, this is really tough, and you did a great job capturing the action in this shot. Just keep at it and you'll get it.

p.s. - if its bright enough, a high aperture number doesn't hurt.

not sure anything i might say would actually help you, JM, but i'll have a go at it :)

the problem in that picture is obviously back-focusing (which can be a difficult hurdle with autofocus cameras). my suggestion would be to pan the subject with the camera, going along with the subject, and focus right before when you need to take the picture. i havent done much manual focus with action shots, i imagine it to be fairly difficult, since you would constantly be having to change focus...i would just do trial and error (and since you are shooting digital there is no problem in that :))

Agree with tr0gd0o0r looks bright enough for higher aperture

Jon there is not an easy answer. Keeping with auto focus is OK. Are you using “AI servo” focus mode and focus lock? If not look in to it.

With “AI servo” when you focus lock on moving subject and then pan with the movement the camera should stay in focus.

Manual focus only works well if all subjects are in the DOF range

Autofocus with the servo or continuos focus is one option. There is also the option of prefocusing or "zone" focusing to get an area in focus and wait for the action to reach that position. But, to me, that is sort of a last ditch effort in really difficult situations. I shoot some hockey games and usually do pretty well with autofocusing.

You are never going to manual focus while shooting sports. It's possible in that shot that you are too close to the subject to focus. What camera and lens were you using here?

thanks for all the suggestions everyone. looks like i have a lot to work on. i've heard of the continuous focusing feature but cant believe its fast enuf for action stuff. i'll keep pushing on.

Matt - d70 with the 28-70

Hey Jon,

I do lots of this kind of photography with the kids doing sports and stuff. I always use continuous focus; on the D-70 it works great. I use spot focus and track the subject in the centre, you can creatively crop later in PS. If I plan to freeze the action I shoot between 650-1000/sec aperture priority or if I want action blur down a 125/sec or lower. At 60/sec with rear curtin sync renders some cool pics as well.

I don't have people/action pics on my site right now but here is an Ice Racing shot with continuous focus

DSC_1112.jpg

This one was shot at 125/sec to show motion blur.
DSC_1173.jpg

Hope that helps.

Eric

nice work Eric. thanks for the d70 suggestions. i'll give it a try. one other question. i generally shoot manual. in these situations, are you shooting shutter priority?

I thought you where a Canon man, sorry for the Canon’ish reply. So your using Nikon, well at less we know what problem is now. :wink:

JonMikal said:
nice work Eric. thanks for the d70 suggestions. i'll give it a try. one other question. i generally shoot manual. in these situations, are you shooting shutter priority?

Yes, I almost always shoot shutter priority that was I know for sure how fast the shutter is firing.

Eric

Most reactions

New Topics

Back