HELP!!!

guitarmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took band photos today, with my D50. Set the image settings to shoot RAW + Basic. Used up two 512 MB cards.

On the 2nd card, when I plug my camera into my computer, it shows both the RAW and JPG files. All well and good. But when i plug in my FIRST card, it just shows up as JPGs - two of each shot that had been taken. When I review the images on my camera, it says they are in RAW and JPG.

So, I'm totally screwed if I can't get those first images in RAW format, as the JPG form they are in is low quality. Anybody had this issue before? Any suggestions? Please?

Thanks.

Anybody? I don't know what else to post, information-wise.

What are you using to upload/view the files?

Copy all the files onto your computer...then check what the file types are.

Okay, I'll try copying them to my hard drive when I get home. But they are viewable when the camera is connected through the USB, and claim to be 768KB. However, the 512 card was almost full after about 62 images or so, which leads me to think the RAW files ARE in there, somewhere.

Any recommended file recovery programs?

well...my aunt had a similar expereince before...she thought she took the pictures....but she never did.....in case you are having the same senario....file recovery program is not going to help.....file recovery program "recovers" lost data...but it doesnt generate data....so dont be surprised if you cant recover those images

Yeah, the thing is I know I took the pictures. Didn't change any settings, and on one card the RAW + Basic files show up on both computer and camera. On the other card, the RAW + Basic files show up on the card, but not on the computer. Each picture shows up twice as a JPEG. This leads me to believe it was a technical error, not a personal one.

well, if those images filled up a card as if they were raw and jpeg ... then i would assume they were taken in raw and jpeg and something went wrong on the card or when tranferring them.

just as others said ... copy them to your computer using a card reader ...

K, I'll try and get one of those. Thanks for the help (but if people have more suggestions, keep 'em coming)!

ok....when you say the RAW+Basic show up on the card but not on the computer....this information is strange....do you mean they show up as RAW+Basic on the camera viewer...but show up as JPG+JPG on computer?......if that is the case...you'll have to believe your computer and they are JPG+JPG (interpret from the file size and extension)....

i can imagine there is something wrong happened during the conversion/storage of the image when they are captured....and no software is going to help you recover those RAW images as they were never captured in the first place.....copy all files to your computer...verify the file size of the images.....

something kinda suspicious here.....you say when you view them on your computer....they are both JPG.....and i assume that they both have the same file name...how is that possible?....any storage device doesnt allow the same file name with the same extension appear twice....or you have a *.JPG and a *.NEF file but both showing the same file size?

ok....when you say the RAW+Basic show up on the card but not on the computer....this information is strange....do you mean they show up as RAW+Basic on the camera viewer...but show up as JPG+JPG on computer?......if that is the case...you'll have to believe your computer and they are JPG+JPG (interpret from the file size and extension)....

Yes, that is what I mean. I don't know if I have to believe my computer though - the weirdest part is that, for the amount of images that the card stored before it filled up, they should be in RAW + JPEG. However, when I view them on the computer (when the camera is hooked up through the USB), they all come up as JPEG.

something kinda suspicious here.....you say when you view them on your computer....they are both JPG.....and i assume that they both have the same file name...how is that possible?....any storage device doesnt allow the same file name with the same extension appear twice....or you have a *.JPG and a *.NEF file but both showing the same file size?

Yes, they are ALL jpegs, duplicates, with the EXACT SAME file name. No 'copy' or anything. No NEF files.

Yes, they are ALL jpegs, duplicates, with the EXACT SAME file name. No 'copy' or anything. No NEF files.

ok now.....this is practically or technologically impossible....windows (i assume you are using) does not allow two files having the same name with the same file extension.....not possible....because the software would not be able to allocated any memory space for two items having the same name....is like clone.....the software will say....."hmm...which one is which"...and then it will go crazy trying to figure that out.....that's why it is impossible

you can have same file name with different extension...but not same file name with same extension

Well, I guarantee the extensions are all jpg. I am 98% certain there are doubles of all the files, so two of each with the same name. However, I don't have it in front me right now, so I can't confirm that - it's possible they are numbered differently, but I don't think they are. And yes, I know it's not supposed to be possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back