hey! nub here needing advice on a hot shoe flash

RL.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rldigitalmedia.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey i have a nikon d5000 and I am thinking about getting a flash soon. I was wondering if something like this

:http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/VVDF283NIK.html#Reviews

would be a good buy as opposed to spending 3x its price for a nikon sb600....

good deal or should I save for the nikon flash?, also i am not trying to go pro and will be using it for portraits

hey i have a nikon d5000 and I am thinking about getting a flash soon. I was wondering if something like this

:VIVDF283NIK Vivitar DF283 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Bounce / Zoom / Swivel Auto-Focus Flash for Nikon TTL, Guide Number 42m (137')

would be a good buy as opposed to spending 3x its price for a nikon sb600....

good deal or should I save for the nikon flash?, also i am not trying to go pro and will be using it for portraits
Do you want to use it on or off the camera? Do you require a TTL capability or is full manual operation ok with you.

The links provided to Adorama doesn't go to a specific speedlights.

I am also very interested in getting the LP160 or 120. Does anyone have any experience using it? I don't really plan on using ETTL much or any, Manual is so much more versatile, and easy enough to learn. I was gonna get a 430 EX II, but I can get this for almost half the price...

from personal experience, I bought a 580ex II for my canon, and I dont nearly use any of its important functions, I hardly know how to use it, I have had it set in manual since I bought it since i dont know how to set it otherwise... I could have got a flash that does just what i need for about £60 if not less

TL:DR go third party unless you know how to use flash already

William's situation is typical. I see it all the time.

Someone gets a nice speedlight that has a lot of bells and whistles.

However, using a speedlight's functions takes
  1. some thought
  2. users manual reading
  3. experimentation
  4. and regular use to remember how to make all the bells and whistles work.
#4 usually winds up being the problem, in so far that there is not enough regular use to remember how it all works.

The thing is, most amateur photographs would be so much better if strobed or reflected light were used effectively. Unfortunately, most amateurs seem to consider using a speedlight (or reflectors) a pain in the ass, don't, and it shows in their photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back