Hi everyone! Newbie looking for advice on how to get (my hobby) noticed.

SarahHaras

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there. I have just started taking this photography thing a little more seriously and I am wondering how you all get the most exposure for your work? Do you use social media to display your work? "Old School" advertising? Word of mouth? Any tips and tricks out there? I'm still learning how to take a decent picture- but what do you think is the best way to see if anyone else enjoys them? Thanks for your thoughts! https://www.facebook.com/SarahHarasPhotography

One post .....how do i get famous? .....is not a great way to start :p
Good luck..... persevere..... try .... and don't expect many to view your pics from a hot link to another forum......I had a look but many here will not because what is the point of having a photography forum if you try to get the users to go elsewhere to view your pics... try posting a couple here for C&C....
Become a contributor to this forum not a "USER" and you will find it more helpful to your creative needs....

Nudes and implied nudes get the MOST hits. BY FAR.

I'm still learning how to take a decent picture

Why do you need exposure? Why do you care if anyone else enjoys them? Just take your camera and go shoot and have fun!

Oh, I forgot, anyone with a dslr is now a business...

... I'm still learning how to take a decent picture...

That's the only thing to concentrate on. You DO NOT want people looking at your work now and remembering it five years from now when you can take a decent picture. I've looked at your Facebook page, and you have a few interesting shots to be sure, but clearly a very limited grasp of the fundementals of exposure and composition.

The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to learn. An excellent way to do that is ask questions here. You can also post pictures (not more than four per thread for best results please) in the gallery section below for comments and critique (Called "C&C"). You will have to develop a bit of a thick skin, since we're not your family or friends, and we will tell you everything that we wrong with your images.

Oh, I forgot, anyone with a dslr is now a business...

Sarah; Follow these simple steps:

1. Sign up on as many social networking sites as possible.
2. Develop your own website.
3. Design an AWSOME watermark.
4. Purchase an entry level DSLR.
5. Take some pictures and post them everywhere.
6. Bask in your new-found fame and fortune.

Maybe actually learn to use your camera first, before worrying about this! ;) Once you can take shots that will impress people.. then worry about exposure!

You probably get a lot of good feedback from people on Facebook, and your family and friends .. but most facebook'ers don't have a clue what good photography is.. and your family is your family.

I am not even going to try and critique a bunch of shots on Facebook.. but one thing that stands out, is your processing... it is all over the place, bad WB, bad skin tones.

If you post some shots here for C&C.. we will try to help you improve... best I can offer! (2 or 3 shots max, numbered for reference!)

Last edited:
If you are wanting to become a professional photographer (that's business, not skill) you need to sit down and plan your business. AKA: A Business Plan.
A good thorough plan for how to succeed in your business covers the research part of EVERYTHING in the business from the basic what you need to be in business to everything you need to succeed.
It's complicated and will take you some time-probably a couple months at best-but if you do the THOROUGH job that it should have you will be in a great position to be successful.

Business is often something people jump into with not a clue about the in's and out's of business. Especially in this industry we see people do it every day and they go out of the business just as fast as they come.

I went through your Facebook page this morning...and I still say sprinkle in a few implied nudies...and no, I am NOT kidding...a shirtless guy or two (think that Thor dude from The AVENGERS), a little beefcake...a bikini girl...or two...

I looked at your facebook. Step away from the glamor glow editing. You have some good shots to start with, but your editing isn't helping you.

... I'm still learning how to take a decent picture...

That's the only thing to concentrate on. You DO NOT want people looking at your work now and remembering it five years from now when you can take a decent picture.

No way! I'd love to be an amazing photographer and have people look up the crap I made five years prior. It shows that progress takes actual work, and that most people don't come out of the womb an amazing photographer.

Plus it makes it easier for me to sell them my Five Amazing Steps to Better Photography and Whiter Teeth.

Interested?

I joined this forum just a few weeks ago with the same enthusiasm and thought I was going to take the world by storm with my photos and just need confirmation and advice on getting known and noticed. Like the posts above, I was given very similar advice and have since determined that I have a TON of things to learn to even attempt thinking of being successful. I have tried to take all of the advice given and I read on here a lot and practice. I am working on my business plan and making a list of the equipment that I need to do things right.

I think that even with just less than a month, I have seen great improvements with all aspects of my photography.

I have not looked at your pictures, but I will say that the people on here are giving you honest feedback, as hard as it is to take it, know that they aren't attacking you. They are just trying to guide you correctly in a VERY difficult industry.

Nudes and implied nudes get the MOST hits. BY FAR.

Derrel is correct, and lucky for YOU, we now have a forum for this very thing. Post often. :mrgreen:

It is always amazing to me how someone will say that they are just learning how to take decent pictures yet they already have photos with a watermark proclaiming "so and so's photography" as though it's a professional business. I think the order of events should be 1. Learn your way around a camera 2. practice to the point that you can take photos that people actually want to see 3. Study how to run a photographic business 4. Figure out who your clientele is likely to be 5. Declare yourself a photographer and a add watermark to your shots to dissuade theft of your work. It seems like everyone wants to skip straight to #5

It's been said here before and it's proven over and over again. With today's digital cameras practically anyone can take a "good picture". Knowing how to do it to a level of excellence that a pro must possess is an entirely different matter

Sarah, I looked at your pictures on your link. I'd hold off on the marketing aspect for now. they're good.... not great.. Keep at it though. You have a good eye.

Most reactions

Back