And this one needs explainng, This girl almost got herself thrown into the ocean.!
Just after this photo was taken some whaling captains came up to her and said. Put
THAT CAMERA away! She Argued!.. "but he is taking pictures!
If you dont put that camera away we will take it and throw it into the ocean, if you argue .. we will throw YOU into the OCEAN!
She wisely obeyed. She was going to "take". .. The people of Point Hope Knew I was there to give!
They sternly told her..HE went before the tribal council, Before the elders, before the IRA, He asked peromisson, from ALL of those groups and more, BEFORE WE EVER LET him out here on this sacred hunt of OURS!
Please leavel the ice, and she obeyed.
The only way, you can come down to the lead opening, and particapte, is you BELONG to a crew. Jake Koonuk.. was my Captain,..
he is my friend. I am invited .. .. to be on his crew. I had the flu. and they took me to.. his camp! He requested me...& the rest is history!
The "stuffed" seal skin is "Avataqpaq" (Ah Vah Tuck Puck) it is used as a Bobber OR FLOAT in fishing! to locate a whale when he plays his personality with the Captain. Some whales will thrash and aplash.. but onlly for THAT CAPTAIN ONLY. .others will hide. but for THAT CAPTAIN only. Some whales will not play with some Captains, and they stay away.! The whale knows the heart of the Captain! I don't expect you to understand or believe this.
When I -=click=- the shutter. I got the "creeps all over me! I know this man! I have seen him before!... on T.V. ! Johnny Carson, The Tonight Show, and John Denver was on that show AND HE had video. of this man. that hat! and a polar bear.
Oh my goodness. NOW I KNOW why he requested me.. ! I don't believe this. I remember when I watched that show, A lot of very bad things were said about these people,I wasn't really paying any attention to that part, just the video but I distinclly remember him saying. they caught a whale and left it there to rot!
THERE IS NO WAY, anyone in this village would / could ever let something like that happen. This is too precous, it is "sacred" !
There once was a man, from Boston, named "sicpan"! He was here, every year, from New Bedford, but he was well loved by all the people, and he went whaling every year for over ten years, When they found out I was from Boston, they were hoping I had that same "personality" they were happy to find out. & I was accepted. John Denver did these people a very terrible injustice. He announced on T.V that the "teenagers" of the village slashed his tires and trashed his plane. Yes they did. .and with good cause! Mr. Denver's crew brought in TOO MUCH alcohol, & other UNMENTONABLES,.. Jo-Jo Omnick.. thought he was a "caribou" and spent three days out on the tundra thinking he actually was one.!
I doubt he will ever be the same again. Untold damage was done by THAT man & his T.V. crew, for the sole purpose of lying about the TRUTH.
I had to stop and say that. 1976 was the year of that video on Jonny Carson .. I would pay anthing for a copy of that tape.
I AM here to tell the truth. In 1983 I flew back to Boston (my father passed) with my album, 100 11 x 14 images of what your looking at.
On the Boston Commons was a Free concert, I was there, with my album John Denver was playing, I went to TRY and get backstage, after the performance. The Police stopped me. of course. ha ha. I asked? could you please have Mr. Denver autograph this album please? they went back stage, I hear talking and then I hear, crash, bang, LOTS OF NOISE.. I run in.. to see Mr. Denver .. runing out of the back of the tent !
Everytime.. in any house in any village, when a song of his comes on the radio, someone, will turn the radio off!
Back to the OCEAN ICE.!!
You.. are nice and warm.. and it is 4:00 a.m. TIME FOR A SMOKE BREAK.. (I removed the cigarette, form Jake's mouth.) using photoshop.
We have been working aournd the clock for two days straight, The lip of the whale has been removed to sxpose the "baleen", rows upon rows 300 slats of Baleen, with hair hanging off it. This is how a BowHead (riight whale) takes in food, Plankton. filtered through the very fine hairs, In days of old, long ago, the hair was removed and dried. and used for "tampons". or pads. is a better descripton or term.
I have been trying to upload this next image for over two hours now, the wind storm that has hit the village is ferocious, this is common occurance.
Sometimes, (monthly) or sooner or even constant, we will have what you call hurricanes, "house shaking" winds @ 100 mph or more. and often a hunter is stranded out in that type of weather, his machine (snow mobile or ATV 4 wheeler) has broken down, or he is LOST.
-=SEARCH & RESCUE=-
Is a "group" of very skilled hunters, volunteers, who will go out into ANYTING, at any time of the day or night in any type of weather, INTO AN AREA,.. .. the size of several STATES ! (New Jersey, Rhode Island, Delaware, ) and it is white, frozen, and hurricane, and it is DARK, and it is a vicious white out and you can't see 6 inches in front of you.. THEY ALWAYS FIND THE PERSON.. in this type of weather!! HOW.??? can you possibly FIND & LOCATE ? someone,? under those conditons ?
it is done many times every year. but STRANGER, MUCH STRANGER things than this.. go on.. out in that vast EMPTY ? region that has NO INHABITANTS. none! no body! BUT OH YES THERE ARE!