High-Key Photos, C&C please

birdfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just draped a white sheet over a makeshift PVC pipe stand that I made. Just wanted to practice some high-key shots. I'm not sure how, but I heard that using proper lighting can achieve the white background effect that I was going for here. Anyone have any suggestions b/c I would rather get in right to start with, rather than trying to fix it in PSE? But for my first time trying I think they turned out ok. Now go ahead and let me have it. :D

BassBasket3.jpg

BassBasket4.jpg

BassBasket2.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions b/c I would rather get in right to start with, rather than trying to fix it in PSE?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

Not seeing high key here. High key is usually comprised of very white, or blownout highlights, shadowless, very contrasty images.

C&C per req: These aren't quite high-key; the background still has traces of detail, and isn't pure white, while the highlights on the child seem about 2/3 stop too hot. The monochrome is far too mid-tone rich and needs a contrast boost to bring in some blacks and whites. I would suggest dialling back your keylight by about 1/2 - 2/3 stop and boosting your background light by at least the same amount. How much separation do you have between the child and background? I would try for at least 6-8' and more if at all possible.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

On my monitor, the child has a yellowish tint to him

Ryan L- I'm sorry, I'm still new to all this. I thought the white background was high key.

tirediron- I was shooting against a wrinkled white sheet. I was trying to follow a tutorial online by editing that in PSE. But obviously it didn't work as well as I had planned. By 2/3 stop too hot, do you mean I need to go down 2-3 stops? Not sure what dialing down back your keylight means?? And I didn't have a background light, just an external flash mounted to the hotshoe and aimed at the ceiling. My subject was only a foot or 2 away from the backdrop b/c I didnt have a very wide sheet to begin with.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Last edited:
Sorry the ??? was meant for "I'm Ron Burgundy?" And then I went back and edited my post. Still trying to figure this whole thing out. Sorry!

Hahaha! Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out. WTF, Miss Cream?

High key means reducing or eliminating shadows and contrast. Your key light is quite high on the subject (physically high) creating shadows and contrast. If you position your light source or subject so that it is lit more from the front, you may have greater success.

Lower the power on your key light, as suggested. Meter your key light, and then make your background lights two stops brighter than your key.

ETA: you wont be able to achieve a true high key image with only one hot shoe mounted flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back