How did they achieve this look

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lifestyle Portrait gallery
Not sure if I can post this but if I'm breaking a rule, I will take it down.
But I'm curious as to how they got this look, I know the colors harmony but, to me the people kind of look... I don't know how to put it. But I'm just curious to what this affect is called?
Or is it just really good light and done right or is it Photoshop?

Last edited:
Most of it is lighting however there are some photos that are hugely over the top with frequency separation.
The second row on the right. Guy looking into camera with lady's face in his neck. That dude's face is so plastic. This is only one of a dozen or so that have a similar treatment.
For my tastes it is a complete fail but if the photographer/client like it. It's a win.

I am not a studio photog, but I see a ton of skin smoothing ... but overall very good lighting and good photography. With practice and a basic lighting kit, you could duplicate the images. The skin smoothing is graduated, you can add a little or add a lot. It will reduce wrinkles and blemishes to the point of skin appearing as plastic. In the image zombiesniper mentioned, the man looks like a mannequin. The extensive Photoshopping/image manipulation does give a painterly look to the images ... whether it is good or bad is a matter of taste.

Yeah, that's some freaky Stepford wives level of skin smoothing. Creeps me out.

Great lighting.... HORRIBLE (IMO) skin processing. I think there may also be some compositing going on there as well.

Or is it just really good light and done right or is it Photoshop?
Both. The photographer has excellent equipment, and knows how to pose and light his subjects.

He is a bit heavy-handed in the post-processing however. This is when it pays off to know how much is enough.

Great lighting.... HORRIBLE (IMO) skin processing. I think there may also be some compositing going on there as well.
either that or a lot of backdrops.

looks like he's running these through Portraiture or alike--one-button click processing job on them. heavy vignetting added as well.

it looks like he also asks his subject to "give me that serial killer stare"

Regardless of the pros and cons of post processing, I'd say he's probably giving his clients what they want. He's in "old money country", where horses and formality run hand in hand. Looks to me like he's killing it in his market. I found the Legacy Album to be a pretty slick marketing gimmick. Tie up pre-bookings for 2 years - pretty slick.

Lighting is pretty good. But I wouldn´t be suprised if he used two exposures for every face (especially for the smiles) - one for the smile and one for the eyes. The eyes look unnaturally open for the smiles. But many people don´t like to smile because they say it makes their eyes smaller. Probably his clients are like that and he makes good business. I for one like natural smiles or laughs with smaller eyes much more.

Regardless of the pros and cons of post processing, I'd say he's probably giving his clients what they want. He's in "old money country", where horses and formality run hand in hand. Looks to me like he's killing it in his market. I found the Legacy Album to be a pretty slick marketing gimmick. Tie up pre-bookings for 2 years - pretty slick.
They look painted or something almost fake. But he says he make a good living with this. I was looking at lighting videos and ran across his work at PPA. Him and Tim Kelly have a unique style.

But he says he make a good living with this.

I know there's been a lot of strong negative comments on his processing, but frankly if it's working for him, then more power to him.

Your right, and it's clearly working for him. He has the business side figured out and it also looks like he offers various styles to cover all bases.
I been looking at PPA to try and learn some from the videos there and ran across Walden and a few more like Doug Box and Tony Cornell and just blown away. Tim Kelly is another one that has this kind of old fashioned look and I know it's not for all but I really like it I just wish I didn't have to use videos and have someone to actually learn from... But hey... Videos it is..

this kind of old fashioned look and I know it's not for all

I personally like the older look.
I just think the skin frequency separation is a little much for my tastes but like I said before if the photographer and client are happy then that's all that matters.

On the eyes being more open, face aware liquify combined with a quick skin smoothing will get the same results.

Most reactions

Back