How do I fix my canon 18-55 lens?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Basically my camera fell.. everything is working fine, but the lens wont attach itself to the camera. If you can see from the image I posted, you can see a couple little things chipped off. Is there a way I can fix this myself? or would I have to bring it somewhere to get fixed?

Camera is Canon T3I, and the lens is EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6

Thanks in advance :wink: $CAM01159.jpg

Ummmm...it kinda' looks like the mounting lugs were ripped off of the lens...NOT good, not good at all. Luckily, the 18-55 is a VERY inexpensive lens, and is, according to many people, kind of a "disposable lens", meaning it's cheaper to just buy another one, rather than to have $95/hr. camera repair work done on it.

I see screws in that area.. theres no way I can unscrew them, take that part off, and put a new part in?

As said above it is probably better to replace. I would not risk a repair in case you end up damaging the camera. They can be got secondhand cheaply

KEH, Adorama or B&H; last two are in NYC but have a large online presence as well.

The Kit lens is a inexpensive lens and it is cheaper to get it replace then repair. Due to the fact that a lot of people want to upgrade their standard zoom lens, so you should be able to find a used one in good price. Check with keh.com, bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com in the used section. Also check out your local craigslist listing.

What are the parts that chipped off? and is it possible to buy that part online and attach it?

You can try eBay for parts. I am with everyone else though. There are groups on Facebook, eBay, keh all that sell used lenses and you can pick one up in good condition for probably $80-$100. That's the better option than trying to fix it I think.

Is there a place you would suggest to buy one? Online somewhere?

Being a kit lens there will be many second hand ones for sale. Look up the price and go to your local photo shop. They always have one (at least ours does) and they know what it's worth so you shouldn't have to over pay. I say to look up the price so that you can keep them honest about the price. Heck they probably will make you a deal just to get rid of it because there are so many of them floating around.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The part that's showing in the picture is the backend. The part that isn't showing is the actual lens, the front part.

That's why I thought I could buy the replacement and attach it myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back