How do you come back to photography?

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am photographed all out at this point in my life. I love photography, but i am all out of ideas as to what to photograph. How do you get that spark back when you don't know what to photograph? Like do you ever have this and how do you get back on the saddle?

You step away ... find something else to do ... then try picking up the camera again.
Maybe it's not your thing anymore.

I am photographed all out at this point in my life. I love photography, but i am all out of ideas as to what to photograph. How do you get that spark back when you don't know what to photograph? Like do you ever have this and how do you get back on the saddle?

One day a month or 2 ago, I went out for a drive afterwork when I was sick of everything, all the stress from work and home. I ended up about an hour from home and I had my camera in the back. Sat there and watched the sunset and took some amazing photos almost by accedent but the thing was it was super relaxing and a stress reliever.

Maybe go for a drive somewhere, not just 10 mins away, a good drive and sit and relax with your camera. Youll find something.

It's OK if it turns out photography is not for you. Lots of other people try photography and find it just doesn't hold their interest.

If you're "photographed all out at this point" in your short life, I don't think you love photography nearly as much as you think you do.
How long have you been doing photography? You've only been a TPF member for 6 months or so and IIRC it wasn't all that long ago you started the hobby.

I have had creative slumps, and that's when anyone in the same boat is well advised to get outside their 9 dots and explore new concepts.
"Thinking Outside the Box" with the 9-dot Problem

Last edited:
Well, the obvious answer is: GET A NEW HAMSTER, dude!!!!!!

Good to see you, hammy! I was wonderin' where you'd gone to... As far as fighting the burn-out...maybe take it easy, shoot only what you LIKE to shoot, do not worry too much if it's good, great, bad, or indifferent, just take some pics, drink some wine, enjoy life, eat some good food, smile a bit, and do not let things get ya' down.

Easy, at least to me. Don't let photography become your "crack" addiction. If it's not your lively hood, then just enjoy it. It's like everything else in this world, be it video games, tv, a food of some type or whatever. Moderation and have a real life.

combine it with another hobby. like skydiving. adds a entire new perspective.

Get the longest lens you can, and play paparazzo (or paparazza) by stalking old significant others.

I do this every weekend drive all over the place on a wildlife search. I have racked on some series miles and went through a lot of gas doing so but man there is nothing else I rather be doing.

Pick a a activity other then photography you Anjou and take your camera with you.

If you enjoy hiking take your camera with you on a hike to photograph the scenery.
If you enjoy taking your dog to the dog park take your camera with you and photograph the dog.
If you enjoy baking bring the camera into the kitchen and photograph different parts of the baking process.
If you enjoy golf take the camera with you mount it to the golf cart and do a time lapse of your time golfing.
If you enjoy building models do a time lapse of the model build or photos of the different steps.

The possibilities are endless.

If it's a matter of running out of things to shoot, try thinking of new ways to shoot the same things, even. Or, as they mentioned, take a drive-you never know what you'll find. I found a giant (15+ feet) model of an X-Wing last year driving around WI.

i am in a similar fix myself. kuwait is a desert. temperatures are rising (june to august will see 50+ C (not F)) with added drama of dust storms.
so for a change of scenery off to the UK (2 weeks with my daughter) and europe (2 weeks whirlwind tour).
i am dying to hear that shutter working once again.

maybe you need to visit a place far from home and everything will click back into place.

I do this every weekend drive all over the place on a wildlife search. I have racked on some series miles and went through a lot of gas doing so but man there is nothing else I rather be doing.

AMEN. And then to share it with others with childlike enthusiasm is another high.

I've been photographing the same area for the last 10 years. When I get burnt put, I try something new. A new lens, a new genre, look for new ways to photograph the same stuff. The times I think I can't find anything to shoot, I take a walk and end up with sets like rope, locks, brooms, mops, etc.. There is always something to shoot, creativity will bring the spark back too.

Now that I've had some sleep . . .
1. Try a scavenger hunt - make (or have someone else make) a list of items - vague is better, like "circle," "triangle," the letters "M" through "Q;" go out and photo your interpretation of those.
2. Ten objects in one room, ten things in your back yard, etc.
3. Take a photo walk and shoot everything at same focal length.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back