How do you come back to photography?

Being a full time professional these past 25-years has made photography a "job" at times because the subjects are not of my choosing--I have to pay the bills. So the continuing challenge is to create images that OTHER people love that I feel are technically good.

To avoid burn-out, I've been entering photographic competitions for over 40-years. Here are some organizations you might try:

At the Camera Club level they're usually part of PSA (the Photographic Society of America)

WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International) is where MANY new photographers looking to enter the profession are starting out--plus they hold an AWESOME convention every year in Las Vegas!

PPA (the Professional Photographers of America) is for the more serious professional photographers--you should SEE the results of this annual photographic competition! Truly amazing.

There's also the various photographic magazines that are ALWAYS running competitions. Check out Outdoor Photographer magazine.

These are some of the ways that I stay jazzed about photography!

How does one buy a 50mm 1.4, a 10-24mm, a 70-200 2.8, and a D800 in the span of a few weeks and then get burnt out from photography?

I usually buy new lenses. It works....really. It gives you a new, "perspective." :)

How does one buy a 50mm 1.4, a 10-24mm, a 70-200 2.8, and a D800 in the span of a few weeks and then get burnt out from photography?
Not sure the equipment matters. I can relate. I go for my walks now and usually come back with nothing. It isn't running out of "things" to shoot. It is running out of things you want to shoot. I walk by photos all the time. I just have no interest in having that photo. Even if it could be a good one. I don't want it. It is running out of things you "want" to shoot. for instance there is a bridge near where I am. I walked over it the other day. took a photo.

Thought about it. Considered trying to get a different perspective and getting a nice photo of the bridge. But really, I didn't want ANY photo of the bridge good or not. just not something I wanted. Its the same bridge, sideways, upside down night, day, really don't matter just don't want it. I flipped the one I took to bw but its really a crap photo anyway my heart wasn't in it. Things to shoot, things you want are very different things...this is about the time you get bored looking and start taking random crap shots for kicks and just tossing them all when you get home or just don't take any. (I bring a camera and do crap shots because it keeps me busy and makes me smoke less lol) But when you start to get up to tons of photos on the hard drive, you start to wonder what the point is of adding another one and your standards for what you want go higher. OR I think of driving somewhere for a photo, then don't. Does it matter? Its just more crap photos. Unless it is something I see that I really WANT its just another file in the drive who cares.
I think I understand the o.p.

I have so many flippin photos of waterfalls and buildings and rivers I have them coming out of my ears.

Its just more crap photos. Unless it is something I see that I really WANT its just another file in the drive who cares.

stop taking ****ty pictures.

Its just more crap photos. Unless it is something I see that I really WANT its just another file in the drive who cares.

stop taking ****ty pictures.
lol
the crap walk around photos are mild entertainment. Walk around shooter running out of things I want to shoot. The crap photos that I find hard are brain entertainment because they are difficult for me so I learn something. It isn't often I actually worry about the final product. Especially if I didn't really want it in the first place but I can find some entertainment and learning in the process part.
just sayn, maybe the o.p. is along these lines of running out of things they "want" to shoot.
Racing season will be kicking off soon and drag racing. I might find some entertainment in going to the drags this summer and taking pics or the racetracks. Plus I like drag racing so its kind of a win win. Same with boating more pics. Perhaps the o.p. could find something to combine with there photography to add interest?

hey, there is the video button too. get bored with the photos, switch it to video.

For me winter is a low cycle for photography.
I'm getting all up now for my kids sports which are just starting.

But just driving around one sees many opportunities for a photo. The problem then goes to just "taking a picture" and making the photo as good as possible in lighting (morning vs afternoon), sky, colors, angle of the photo for lines, etc. At some point it's more than a snapshot and one thinks of how to make the photo as good as they can make it not just technically but artistically.

I'm still stalled someone in never never land myself but at least I try, and it's fun trying. :)

Climb up a big tree, and shoot from there.

Climb up a big tree, and shoot from there.

and make sure to have a super fast fps
if you slip and fall, the shots going down would be epic :)

For me winter is a low cycle for photography.
I'm getting all up now for my kids sports which are just starting.

But just driving around one sees many opportunities for a photo. The problem then goes to just "taking a picture" and making the photo as good as possible in lighting (morning vs afternoon), sky, colors, angle of the photo for lines, etc. At some point it's more than a snapshot and one thinks of how to make the photo as good as they can make it not just technically but artistically.

I'm still stalled someone in never never land myself but at least I try, and it's fun trying. :)
I am not denying opportunities. but what do you do when you just don't want a photo of it?

My biggest problem is looking around for wildlife areas will driving, I almost smashed into someones male box once, ok maybe twice.I really am a good driver though when i don't forget I am driving.LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back