How do you copyright

It's my understanding thats the way it is in Canada, unless the check writer signs a contract that says the photographer owns the copyright.

Europe isn't a country, though most of the countires in Europe have tied themselves together economically and use a common currency, each country still has their own laws.

Except in Canada?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought copyrights in Europe belongs to the person writing the check.

To the best of my knowledge, in most countries in Europe the copyright is owned by the photographer unless these are signed over in a contract.

It's my understanding thats the way it is in Canada, unless the check writer signs a contract that says the photographer owns the copyright.

Europe isn't a country, though most of the countires in Europe have tied themselves together economically and use a common currency, each country still has their own laws.

Uh, I never said Europe was a country.

Any photo you take is technically already under your copyright.
Except in Canada?
you own the copyright unless you're being paid for the shoot. Then the client owns the copyright unless they sign a contract stating otherwise.

I disagree with preventing (or making it hard) for people to download a small copy of the picture. Sure download all you want and enjoy. I do object to them trying to make money off my images however. I download pictures all the time from the Internet and save them for inspirational purposes.

What about using digital steganography to hide a signature. No one but yourself could find it with out CIA level decoding computers. And a small tag would not distort the image noticeably when printed at Max size.

What about using digital steganography to hide a signature. No one but yourself could find it with out CIA level decoding computers. And a small tag would not distort the image noticeably when printed at Max size.

I use a hidden watermark in my money work.

480sparky said:
I use a hidden watermark in my money work.

I am reading a history on espionage. So it was fresh in mind, a hidden watermark or QR code would work just as well. We are not really dealing with CIA or MI6 stealing out work now are we?

You can get right click protection through website programs. Sites like SmugMug have the right click protection option.

Once it's on the web there's also Digimarc which embeds a digital copyright and you can track where your image goes. But like KmH said above if you ever get to the point where people are lifting your images, best to register it with the government.

I saw this while researching, but registering with gov sounds like a better idea. The site I just posted says you can disable the right-click function.
Registering with the gov doesn't protect you from right click save. It registers your copyright and protects it from being stolen, allows you to prosecute should you find your images used illegally.
It must be done every 3 months.
You have to register "published" works separate from "unpublished" works. Published is affixing to any form of permanent media.

Any photo you take is technically already under your copyright.
Except in Canada?
you own the copyright unless you're being paid for the shoot. Then the client owns the copyright unless they sign a contract stating otherwise.

I disagree with preventing (or making it hard) for people to download a small copy of the picture. Sure download all you want and enjoy. I do object to them trying to make money off my images however. I download pictures all the time from the Internet and save them for inspirational purposes.
In the US you still own the copyright if you are being paid for the shoot. It's yours until you transfer it to someone.

Technology will always remain one step ahead of the law, and if its out there for veiwing people can steal it.

One more explanation from good old Canada

depending on the situation it changes who holds the copy right.

Situation 1: Lets say you work for "awesome news" your local news paper and you are paid $10/h the photograph an event You are considered on staff with the paper and the paper will hold the copy right to anything taken within your paid time

Situation 2: You are a portrait photographer in "small town, Canada" and you charge a family $40 for a 1h photo session including 1 8x10. The family had hired you to take there photo however you are not considered to be under there employment so you maintain control over the copy right.

Situation 3: you take a photo and receive no compensation (this one you should know) YOU hold the copy right.

now as with anything there are 50,000,000 loop holes and exceptions so always be sure to include a copy right clause in any and all contracts

Most reactions

New Topics

Back