How do you deal with noisy rude neighbors?

Unimaxium said:
What you should do is play the piece "Endangered Species" by Pat Metheny (et al) really loud so they can hear it. It's on the album "Song X." It's just a bunch of various instruments playing some indescernible tune. Search for it. It should drive them crazy in no time. :p

I tend to favour The Crystal Method when my neighbours are being loud... I think the bass rattling the pictures on their walls shuts them up... temporarily at least.

Being a landlord I have dealt with such issues. The steps are;

1. Ask them nicely
2. Ask them nicely in writing (note on the door is enough however a certified letter through the mail is best and have a copy)
3. Call the cops
4. Call your landlord - call the cops
5. Call their land lord - call the cops

Their landlord is somewhat responsible as is your landlord. You are entitled to what's known as a reasonable standard of living. Look up the noise laws in your area and use them when you call the cops. It will show them that you are serious and are just bitching. If your landlord refuses to help make sure you find your tenant rights laws for your state and explain that he/she is not providing a reasonable standard of living for you. DO NOT threaten to take your landlord to court you will be going after someone that I am sure (almost sure) will do what they can to help.

Good luck. My tenant was the issue and I just terminated their lease and gave them 30 days notice so I had it a bit easier.

oriecat said:
I've heard horror stories of apartment living noise, I am so glad I never lived in one. When I owned my condo, it was a upstairs corner unit, and I never heard a thing from the guy downstairs or the people next door. I think condos are insulated better than apartments. So now that I own my house, this is really the first noise issue I've ever had.

I have the exact opposite reaction to this. I live in an apartment and I wonder what it would be like to live in a house for this very reason. Since I live in an apartment I know that if I ever have noise problems I can go to my apartment manager. I live in a nice apartment community and I rarely have any of these problems. But if I owned my own house and my neighbors were loud and rude and didn't care, what would my options be? Who could I go to? I'm very shy and not good with confrontations so this would be a concern for me. Of course since I can't afford a house, this is all a moot point.

Good luck with all this Orie.

Unimaxium said:
What you should do is play the piece "Endangered Species" by Pat Metheny (et al) really loud so they can hear it. It's on the album "Song X." It's just a bunch of various instruments playing some indescernible tune. Search for it. It should drive them crazy in no time. :p

Another idea: Buy some Opera CD and play it loud over and over. It worked with the gangs in the UK! :D

I once lived in a three family house (3 floors) on the 3rd floor. The 2nd floor neighbors were always argueing loudly so finally I got tired of it. I used to have a killer stereo system so I just took the 4 foot tall speakers and laid them on the floor, turned the volume up to 10 and played Wagner's Flight of the Valkyrie followed by Metallica's Metal Militia then repeat. The bass made the silverware jump on the table. 20 minutes of that and I never had a problem from them again. :D

Bluegrass. Lots of Bluegrass. Drives most college kids crazy.

In all seriousness get their landlord's number. Call the landlord when the kids are making the most noise. Then evaluate.

Most reactions

Back