How do you deal with Non-Cooperative clients?

Eveamlizya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, today I got thoroughly P.O.ed! Granted, I offered to do this for my cousin, taking her senior pictures, as both a gift for her and practice for me and she was soooo excited about it because the ones the school took were horrible. BUT I asked her to meet me at a certain location this morning at a certain time...I get there and she isn't there so I call her...SHE"S STILL IN FRIGGIN BED! So, she doesn't get there for another hour and fifteen minutes by which time the sun is already too bright (in that hour the beautiful overcast was completely gone) so she's squinting in half the pictures I took there...then all the other locations that we had to get to have the wrong shadows and yeah, I got a few good do-able pictures to work with but I just know she's going to complain. Not to mention, the whole day she was so somber (I'm guessing it was because she wanted to sleep in) and would hardly smile or sit up straight or do what I was asking her to pose like. I would've just told her to do it another day, but school starts next week and I have a 5 month old baby plus college and she has school plus work so I didn't want to just throw away the only day we both have off. How do you deal with someone like that?

Oh and since she didn't get up earlier, she just threw something on, her hair wasn't really pretty and she had hardly no makeup on...photoshop here I come...

uhm.

deal with the cards your dealt, learn how to use undesirable situations, buy a reflector?

sounds to me that your cousin is a self centered, lazy teenager (nothing new), but at the same time you sound like a photographer who can't deal with the sun.

btw - weren't you the one who so badly wanted your family to use your services?

Oh and since she didn't get up earlier, she just threw something on, her hair wasn't really pretty and she had hardly no makeup on...photoshop here I come...

Photoshop He11 I would give what she gave you. If she dislikes them then had her a tripod and say next time be on time and appreciate people when they try to help you.

just kick them in the crotch.

How do you deal with someone like that?

A non-paying client that directly disrespected the time-slot you set for them, and was generally in a bad mood all day? I would have gone home. I'm not getting paid to deal with her BS. If she complains, tell her to shove it. You waited for her unmotivated ass to get out of bed and arrive on location, and she was in a crabby mood due to her desire to sleep.

If it were a paying client/non family member, well, I would not suggest that course of action. However, I would have respectfully told them over the phone that you have a prior engagement and cannot bump the session to an hour later. Which would in turn force them to reschedule if they wished to proceed with a photo session. If not, I would keep the retainer for the session and move on.

Furthermore, it sounds like you didn't put her in the shade, hence the squinting. Tell your client to groom themselves, and dress appropriately if they want photos worth looking at. Photography isn't a one way street, clients sometimes (most times, really) need to be instructed on what to wear.

Why don't you post some lightly edited images for C&C and you will most likely receive pointers or tips on how to improve the photos or scenario.

OK, I just actually read it....

....why the f*** didnt' you just reschedule? And the squinting/lighting...That's your fault.

She decided the locations so the lighting isn't really my fault. I told her ahead of time that's why I wanted the earlier time was because the direction she would have to be facing would be very difficult closer to noon. I told her a couple times that she needed to wear something comfortable, not too busy pattern-wise, and still dressy (she showed up in flip flops, capri pants, and a t-shirt too small for her) luckily she wears a similar size shoe to me so i made her put on my Vans that half way looked decent. I took the guitar out of her car and posed her in ways that were more "relaxed" that what I originally wanted. I'm just going to edit the hell out of them and might get a couple up tomorrow to get C&C...maybe they won't be so bad...I'm probably just a little pissed still.
Straight out of camera, I took 147 and got 15 that I'm gonna work with that are good poses where she actually smiled...a little. (I may end up tossing a couple based on exposure, but they were spots that I didn't get anything else from so I'm gonna try and work with it regardless.)
Sorry I posted stupid angry rant. (NOTE to self...next time I work with her...call her 2 hours early...)

She decided the locations so the lighting isn't really my fault.
Sorry, but that's a cop-out. You have to be able to work under the circumstances as they're presented. Granted, it wasn't what you expected, but dealing with the unexpected is a HUGE part of being a professional.

I told her ahead of time that's why I wanted the earlier time was because the direction she would have to be facing would be very difficult closer to noon. I told her a couple times that she needed to wear something comfortable, not too busy pattern-wise, and still dressy (she showed up in flip flops, capri pants, and a t-shirt too small for her) luckily she wears a similar size shoe to me so i made her put on my Vans that half way looked decent. I took the guitar out of her car and posed her in ways that were more "relaxed" that what I originally wanted. I'm just going to edit the hell out of them and might get a couple up tomorrow to get C&C...maybe they won't be so bad...I'm probably just a little pissed still.
Straight out of camera, I took 147 and got 15 that I'm gonna work with that are good poses where she actually smiled...a little. (I may end up tossing a couple based on exposure, but they were spots that I didn't get anything else from so I'm gonna try and work with it regardless.)
Sorry I posted stupid angry rant. (NOTE to self...next time I work with her...call her 2 hours early...)
Believe it or not, I think you were lucky to have this experience. Since it wasn't a paying client, there's a limited amount of pain that she can inflict on you, but you gained the valuable experience of dealing with a difficult client. There are lots of people like her in the world, and worse too!

She decided the locations so the lighting isn't really my fault.

Yes it is. You can tell your client why a certain area works better than another. You run the show. Sure the client can ask for a certain setting, and you should do everything in your power to take photos in that setting. However, if you can get her in the shade, get her in the shade.

I told her ahead of time that's why I wanted the earlier time was because the direction she would have to be facing would be very difficult closer to noon. I told her a couple times that she needed to wear something comfortable, not too busy pattern-wise, and still dressy (she showed up in flip flops, capri pants, and a t-shirt too small for her) luckily she wears a similar size shoe to me so i made her put on my Vans that half way looked decent.

That's when you tell her (as a non-paying client/family member) that she is dressed inappropriately for the photoshoot, and needs to change/reschedule.

I took the guitar out of her car and posed her in ways that were more "relaxed" that what I originally wanted. I'm just going to edit the hell out of them and might get a couple up tomorrow to get C&C...maybe they won't be so bad...I'm probably just a little pissed still.

I don't suggest you "edit the hell out of them." When people say that, it usually ends badly.

I hope you shot the photos in RAW format.

Believe it or not, I think you were lucky to have this experience. Since it wasn't a paying client, there's a limited amount of pain that she can inflict on you, but you gained the valuable experience of dealing with a difficult client. There are lots of people like her in the world, and worse too!

Yeah, you're right. Didn't look at it that way. Thank ya'll for all the feedback. I'll certainly know how to deal with the situation better next time.

Also, by "edit the hell out of them" I don't actually mean over do it...just to play around with different thing until I find the right touch that will make it look alright. This is just a quick edit of my favorite shot that I got. I know, I know, selective color, but I think it's ok for this shot since it's her school color and such. I'd appreciate any criticism since I know I'm not a pro by any means and ya'll are so I greatly respect your help.
$1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back