How Gifted do YOU think you are at photography???

OK- how good are you?

• I'm the Creator's gift to photography- really good

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I'm not the best, but I'm very good

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • I'm not fantastic, but I'm better than average

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I'm totally average

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I wish I was average, but I'm not that good

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I'm considerably worse that average

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I authentically stink at photography

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
I think I'm average at some things (like landscapes), below average at others (portraits) and above average at some stuff (florals, abstracts). However the "average" is as compared to a total amateur, not to someone with skills. Of course my family and friends think I should quit my very lucrative day job and become a pro photographer hahahahahahahahaha!

This is how I feel too...comfortable with some things and still a lot to learn on others.

But it is funny...people seem to think photography could replace my day job. I wouldn't call teaching lucrative, but I still can't see a way to make the same amount of money as a photographer any time soon (or probably ever).

Gifted? No, I have to work at it.

Average compared to my peers. What I lack in technical skills I make up for in enthusiasm. (Like Vtec, good enough to make a living.)

Interesting enough, when I started at the Times, it was a transition period between the Old Guard and a bunch of young kids all starting at about the same time, about a dozen of us. The old timers were still wearing sport coats, ties and sometimes hats to work. When I see them, I see them in B&W and they saw and called us smarta$$es. All the young smarta$$es, photogs and reporters, would party and at one of the first parties we introduced ourselves and spoke of our backgrounds. (One guy came from the National Enquirer, which got a pretty good laugh.) Collectively and individually, we felt that there were better writers and photographers out there much more deserving of working for a major newspaper than ourselves. We felt hat the luck of the draw, being in the right place at the right time, was as important in landing at the Times as skill.

It's also very subjective. I don't know who selected the top 2 options, although I could venture guesses, but I would likely disagree with their opinion of their abilities.

If I'm hanging out with regular folks, I am god's gift.
Thankfully, many of my friends are amongst the top photographers in their field and they keep me humble.

Heading towards average when I compare my images to the images I'd like to take someday

Compared to my non-photographer friends, I am God's gift -- in their eyes and mine! Compared to my photographer friends, very good. Compared to my professional-photographer friends, I'm just a talented wannabe ...

Compared to my non-photographer friends, I am God's gift -- in their eyes and mine! Compared to my photographer friends, very good. Compared to my professional-photographer friends, I'm just a talented wannabe ...
I'm not to the level you describe but the concept is dead-on!

What I find interesting is that this poll is actually doing what I thought it would if people took it seriously here on the forums.

The bulk of the weight around greater than average; with a small number at the upper and lower ends with a weighting toward the upper end.

Indeed the one person thus far, who has ticked that they suck at photography can likely boost that score significantly with some critique from members and some posting of their work seeking crits. Which is broadly speaking where things should be on the site if its working well - people advancing beyond beginner and beyond average with some making it as far as great.

According to my peers, I'm really good. According to myself, I could be much better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back