How good is the Nikon D40?

rateeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have this camera for a few months now.
I don't know but maybe there are great things about this camera that i havent discovered yet.
Or is there any?

Apparently, you haven't read through your manual. The D40 is a great little camera, does the job unless you want to shoot weddings or professional sports. The ISO isn't all that high but it does the trick if you're just starting out.
EDIT: My guess is, you didn't do alot of research before buying did you?

I sleep with mine. :peacesign:

Photos depend on the photographer, not on the camera - you'll get far before reaching the end of the D40's capabilities. All the shots in my gallery (except the moon shot) were taken with my D40.

Bram's half right in that the ISO isn't that high, but it's perfectly acceptable up to 800.

While the camera is a bit older and lacks an internal focus motor, it is a very capable camera and can produce some great results.
As said, it is all dependant on who is behind the camera, and also dependant on what glass you have in front of it.

But without elaborating on what your issues are, and showing us problematic images, it's hard to comment

It is "pretty good". It can do exceptional work with flash in full sunlight, at speeds up to 1/8000 second.

love mine.
(has a better flash sync speed than most)

It is "pretty good". It can do exceptional work with flash in full sunlight, at speeds up to 1/8000 second.
Because it has an electronic shutter (up to the D40 max shutter speed of 1/4000) , and not many entry-level cameras can sync flash at that fast a shutter speed.

Your camera users manual says the flash sync speed is 1/500, but as Derrel pointed out it can really sync all the way up the the D40's max shutter speed of 1/4000. For whatever reason, Nikon doesn't mention that.

thanks people for the input.
i am loving my D40 as a starter slr.

i was just wondering what other feature or capabilities can it do compared to other high end cameras.
that flash sync is new for me, thanks.

and oh, i shot a wedding using a D40. I am very satisfied with it, you wouldnt know that it's a D40. :)

and oh, i shot a wedding using a D40. I am very satisfied with it, you wouldnt know that it's a D40. :)

/FACEPALM

i was just wondering what other feature or capabilities can it do compared to other high end cameras.
that flash sync is new for me, thanks.
google.com

The D40 is not a high end camera in and of itself. It is an entry-level camera now one generation old. It was replaced by the D3000.

The D40 has few features and capabilities to compare to higher level cameras even in the entry-level market segment.

I love my d40x, same camera just creates a little larger picture. Me and the 40' has created some great photos. If you can't figure out whats so great about it, maybe your not being creative enough.

mine is a d40x and i love it to death :D here is a sample photo of what i took with my d40x... it's a bit higher pixel than the d40 and it has flash controls but other than that it's all the same

5096347245_d8f99f28a1_b.jpg

It's a very good camera if you keep the iso low. It's the older CCD sensor tech, which is dated by today's standards.

But, to put things in perspective, in the beginning of 2005 the best camera $$ could buy would be about at the same level as a D40 in image quality.

I shot my wife's D40 one summer; with higher-end optics, like the 70-200 VR, the 200 f/2, 300/2.8, 300 f/4, 60mm 2.8 Micro-Nikkor, Tamron 90mm Macro, the D40's image quality is amazingly good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back