How much would you charge for this?

zbo2408

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not a photographer but a guy I work with is starting his own business and knows I do photography as a hobby so he asked me to take some pictures for his website. It will involve me driving about 40 minutes to the location 1 - 3 hours of actually taking pictures a 40 minute drive home and another hour of post processing / preparing to upload them to the web master ... I am just curious how much a professional photographer would charge for something like this. BTW I am doing it for free and just for a fun challenge for myself I am just curious.

Thanks

You're not a professional so those costings are irrelevant.

I am not a photographer but a guy I work with is starting his own business and knows I do photography as a hobby so he asked me to take some pictures for his website. It will involve me driving about 40 minutes to the location 1 - 3 hours of actually taking pictures a 40 minute drive home and another hour of post processing / preparing to upload them to the web master ... I am just curious how much a professional photographer would charge for something like this. BTW I am doing it for free and just for a fun challenge for myself I am just curious.

Thanks

Could you post an example of your work? It's hard to say what your time and work is worth when we've got nothing concrete to base it upon. If the pictures are stellar, we're talking about a whole different price range vs. mediocre photos.

I'm assuming you are fairly good:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you post an example of your work? It's hard to say what your time and work is worth when we've got nothing concrete to base it upon. If the pictures are stellar, we're talking about a whole different price range vs. mediocre photos.

I don't believe he is asking what he should charge. Sounds to me that he is just trying to get an idea of what a seasoned pro would charge out of curiosity..

That is one of those really hard to answer questions. I will explain why. I used to do private gigs with my bagpipes. I used to charge around $175.00 per hour (supply and demand). Then I realised that some of these gigs involved one hour drive time each way, hanging around time could be up to 2 hours (a surprise gig). So already my $175.00 dropped to $35.00 per hour. The uniform cost around $3000.00 plus another $3000.00 for the bagpipes. I am started to realise that charging what I initially thought of as a fair price ending up with me not making any profit (fuel is not cheap either). So really you have to judge for yourself what you think your time is worth, together with equipment costs and come up with your skill set and see what you think. It really is not set in stone. you could charge a one off fee or charge by the hour. If this friend is starting his own business then he should expect a bill for your services. Not to be mercenary about it but why not ask at the very least for credit for your pictures. The point I am really labouring is what do you think your worth and what he is willing to pay. If I do a gig or take pictures for a friend I at least ask for beer and pizza. Hmm! Does that make me cheap or a typical Scot! <lol>

Good luck with your venture.

Cheers
Jim

You said it's someone you work with but is he a buddy? If so is there anyway to trade out favors instead of a pure financial deal? I've done a couple of shoots for beer. Make sure you specify which beer before hand and don't drink it until after. If not then I guess you could go with the Julia Roberts rule: Never take less than a hundred.

I am not asking how much I should charge for this I am asking how much one of you professionals would charge! ... Just out of curiosity

For the person that asked why I would work for free ...I will be getting free drinks, free food, and credit on his website (remember I am not a pro this is just a hobby)

For the person whom asked for examples of my work...

5381428877_f5ab8e435b_b.jpg

5381948630_215eddc33e_b.jpg

5381952110_80c5a79a56_b.jpg

5381973928_a6437d81da_b.jpg

5381989864_c2c6632346_b.jpg

Personally I found your question a bit indulgent and a waste of time. People in business charge different rates based on the varied criteria. Seeing as an answer would serve no purpose other than to satisfy ideal curiosity and may be ignored anyway...who cares!

As others have said &#8211; it depends &#8211; you would have to consider your time, gas, equipment used/needed, setup prep and a few other factors. You didn&#8217;t describe what you are shooting and how difficult of a setup it will be so for a ball park figure without knowing any real specifics it&#8217;s going to be hard to say.

Sounds like it is going to be most of the day from start to finish I would start at around $800 to $1200 depending on the complexity of the shoot.

AUG19 ... why would you waste time, making a post stating nothing more than my post is a waste of time ...

We live in a historic city and he just wants several of the major landmarks for his web page.

To respond to your petulant use of bold font. We can read and did read it the first time around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back