How to achieve this look

hhhhhhhh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'm trying to achieve similar effect with lights like on this Chris Knight's photo:
https://cdn.fstoppers.com/styles/full/s3/media/2017/06/09/chris_knight_photography_2.jpg

However, whatever I do, I cannot hide the nasolabial wrinkle of my model, who btw doesn't have much wrinkles under the natural light, but under the strobe it becomes visible. I use one front strobe with 2' softbox and scrim, on a minimum power and one strobe with umbrella softbox on the side with a bit more power.

Do you think:
- Chris' model doesn't have wrinkle at all
- It's photoshopped
- It's hidden with the lights

I'd say it's probably all three, but I'd like to minimize it as much as possible with the lights, so I don't go heavy with the Photoshop later.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new in the photography and I do this only as a hobby in my apartment. No fancy studio or bunch of lights and modifiers.

I would say that this model's skin is heavily (perhaps too heavily) retouched as there's virtually no evidence of texture. Personally, I don't especially like the look, but it works for some. Lighting for this is fairly straight-forward. A single light with a medium softbox, 90 degrees camera left. The highlight on the left cheek looks to me like it was done with the dodge too in post.

I agree with tirediron, one light camera left, and also a fan to blow the hair. It looks to me to be a fairly sizable 48 inches or so (?) soft box based on the catchlight. I think there's a lot of skin softening going on, since the photo is not sharp. The key when doing this is not to have the light too close, but just far enough away. If you place the light too close, the degree of falloff is very rapid, but if you move the light back five To six feet from the subject it's pretty even across the width of the face. The closer the light is, the deeper the shadow. The farther the light is, the closer the highlight and the shadow side are to one another in exposure value.

A lot of photoshop. Including the fly away hairs. I like it. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back