How to get a soft creamy glow photo

Willlowb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have seen some pretty pictures on blogs and came across one that I really like her photos. All of them have a creamy soft glow look to them. She has a point and shoot camera and says she gets the pictures beause she has lots of light coming in. It is hard to believe because she takes pictures of all the rooms in her home and they all have the same soft creamy glow to them.

Any ideas how I can get this look with my camera? I have a canon powershot.

Post some examples

yeah post some samples...my guess is she is doing something in post processing or she has a setting in her camera that does it for her.

Post a LINK to an example.

Most likely the lens is dirty.

That might seem like a joke response, but that was my first thought, to a "T". LOTS of light + a dirty lens = diffused, glowing images, especially when shot against-the-light or in strong side-lighted conditions. You can create a nice diffusion filter by spraying cheap hairspray ABOVE a clear filter, and allowing the mist to rain down upon the filter. Do not spray it directly AT or ONTO the filter, but just let it "rain down onto" the filter. LEt it dry well, then try it...repeat as needed...the clear hairspray creates a very nice,dreamy effect.

Needless to say, "hairspray filters" are kind of fun to make. Just make sure you're using cheap filters, like those $9 WalMart specials, and NOT your $85 B+W 010 filters!!!!

I cannot post because they are not my pics. Her rooms are white and so is most of her furniture. All the pictures look creamy and just glows. Don't know how else to describe it.

Google "Luminosity" blend mode in Photoshop or the Clarity slider in LR for info on how to PP what you are after. Part of using those effects is to set the shot up correctly in the first place. Reducing clarity doesn't help much without having a strong light source.

soft light + soft and bright pastel colors + Kodak Ektar is probably the easiest way to get that. You can also do it with 400h Leaning more on the pastel side):

Shot on 35mm Fuji Pro 400h (Straight from the lab)
6612280605_9dca0928a8_z.jpg

Most likely the lens is dirty.

That might seem like a joke response, but that was my first thought, to a "T".

In fact its was not a joke: I know the effect of finger grease on P&S lenses... :)
Missing examples, "creamy glow" is the best way to describe the effect.

Most reactions

Back