How to get published.......Help

burnws6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been eying a local magazine, which to say the least, the photographers they use aren't all that great. I'd say 90% of my work is better then theirs is. And that's the truth. I've been building a portfolio leaning towards the norm that the magazine goes for. Same style of clothing, same type of lighting...everything to please their little eyes. Now I've talked to other photographers in the area that have published work, and all they said is that the Magazine staff called them.

I don't want to wait around and be found. I want to get my foot in the door because my portfolio is ready. So besides the obvious "email the editor and cross your fingers" option. What else is there to do?

IN OTHER WORDS....IS THERE ANY OTHER WAYS OF GETTING THEM TO ACCEPT MY WORK FOR A SHOOT BESIDES JUST EMAILING THEM?

Probably not. I'm just going to email the editor. If they want it, then they want it.

Last edited:
Waiting isn't all that bad... I couldn't care less about being published... and well I got an E-mail today about the one of my photographs. I guess its just luck of the draw?

I send images into my local monthly magazine all the time. I have never been picked, they seem to like picking the ones that are grainy and out of focus :)

You could send them some images of current things and hope they like them?

Whatever you do, best of luck to you and don't stop taking pictures just because your not getting published. Pursue what you love!

Waiting isn't all that bad... I couldn't care less about being published... and well I got an E-mail today about the one of my photographs. I guess its just luck of the draw?

I send images into my local monthly magazine all the time. I have never been picked, they seem to like picking the ones that are grainy and out of focus :)

You could send them some images of current things and hope they like them?

Whatever you do, best of luck to you and don't stop taking pictures just because your not getting published. Pursue what you love!

Oh absolutely, getting published is not my main goal in photography. Although it's a huge notch on your belt you can display. I'm sure you will receive more clients when you can have a Published tab on your website lol.

lol@ grainy and out of focus. It's topical to my situation. I'm telling you, they go back and forth with 2 or 3 photographers....and they're horrible.

If it is anything like my town, it is extremely political. Its all about who you know. :thumbdown:

If it is anything like my town, it is extremely political. Its all about who you know. :thumbdown:

lol, trust me I'm working that side too

Sounds like your marketing is narrow. What are your goals beyond being published by said magazine? Post your website and a general if not exact location. These details will allow us to help you further.

Love & Bass

Sounds like your marketing is narrow. What are your goals beyond being published by said magazine? Post your website and a general if not exact location. These details will allow us to help you further.

Love & Bass

I'd rather not post my website for personal reasons, although the area is in Southwest Florida.

This idea has been a long term goal of mine. I'm fine with business as of now. I have tons of editorial shoots to do with upscale restaurants and business owners in my area, as well as a fashion shoot the 27th of Feb with 11 models. I'm busy as can be. So goals for now, would be to step in to published work. I have a steady clientele, but I reason with myself that the caliber of clients would improve if I had published work in the area.

It's just a simple question? Do I just email the editor? I am confident in my work, but since I am not privy to the secret details of publishing and commercial work, I was not sure if there's special guidelines to follow....

Love & Bass

I'd rather not post my website for personal reasons, although the area is in Southwest Florida.

This idea has been a long term goal of mine. I'm fine with business as of now. I have tons of editorial shoots to do with upscale restaurants and business owners in my area, as well as a fashion shoot the 27th of Feb with 11 models. I'm busy as can be. So goals for now, would be to step in to published work. I have a steady clientele, but I reason with myself that the caliber of clients would improve if I had published work in the area.

It's just a simple question? Do I just email the editor? I am confident in my work, but since I am not privy to the secret details of publishing and commercial work, I was not sure if there's special guidelines to follow....

If you won't post your website how are other people going to see it ?

Love & Bass

It's irrelevant because that is not my question. I am not asking suggestions on my websites or my photos. Just read my first post again.

It's irrelevant because that is not my question. I am not asking suggestions on my websites or my photos. Just read my first post again.

I had a small photo published in BACKPACKER Magazine a few years ago. How did they find me? My website. :mrgreen:

I had a small photo published in BACKPACKER Magazine a few years ago. How did they find me? My website. :mrgreen:

I doubt the editor looks on TPF. :D

I doubt the editor looks on TPF. :D

Probably not, but I do have a website. The editor found me online (Google).

So do I. And it is registered with all the business/search/google crap there is.

I give up. :lol: Eric and CW are the only ones that answered my question.

I did, you have to go out and get it write to as many mags as you can, ive had loads published but now most want shots for nothing, these are the last ones i had use
Paul Carrack DVD Shots - Gary Clarke's Photos

I did, you have to go out and get it write to as many mags as you can, ive had loads published but now most want shots for nothing, these are the last ones i had use
Paul Carrack DVD Shots - Gary Clarke's Photos

Nice, that's what I wanted to know. I guess I'll start emailing away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back