How to get published.......Help

ive had loads published but now most want shots for nothing, these are the last ones i had use
Paul Carrack DVD Shots - Gary Clarke's Photos

This is the problem these days. I don't work for nothing. I am desperate not to be exploited but, at the same time, I may end up giving pix away for nothing just to get my foot in the door.

So many stock agencies these days are selling pix for ten or fifteen pounds, why should we togs be asking more? - is the question on publishers' lips, I should imagine.

I have never had a image published so you can discount this advice as you see fit. I do know something about selling yourself though after 35 years in the business world.

Email is fine, as the first step, to get put your name in front of people and encourage them to check out your work.

The next step is to walk in to the publisher's office with our portfolio and ask for the opportunity to show them your work. You should present yourself as a professional by looking and acting the part.

If you get turned down, ask for critique, and what they think you should try differently to meet their needs.

Then if you are serious about getting published in their magazine, go out and modify your portfolio to meet their needs and go back to them again. Continue this until you meet your goal.

I would also suggest you do this with as many publishers as you are interested in and go for it.

The main thing in marketing is to catch the potential client's attention. The best way I know of is to be different from the rest of the crowd. Today, to me, that means sending a letter via snail mail with a few colorful stamps on the envelope. In your letter you request a meeting to discuss how beneficial you can be to the publication, etc, etc.

Getting published is easy. If that is the goal, there are plenty of small publications willing to take newcomers' work cheap. Getting published in the better publications is another story. You say your work is good enough, fine. Now you need to learn about marketing. It is fine to go after this one magazine but why just this one? The more publications you hit with your promo effort the more chances of actually getting published :lol:

And don't forget all the web only "publications."

One of my favorite source of inspiration for promos is "Guerilla Marketing" by Jay Conrad Levinson.

IN OTHER WORDS....IS THERE ANY OTHER WAYS OF GETTING THEM TO ACCEPT MY WORK FOR A SHOOT BESIDES JUST EMAILING THEM?

Probably not. I'm just going to email the editor. If they want it, then they want it.

First off forget about e-mailing the editor. Won't do a bit of good. I'm a photo editor at a newspaper and I get between 8-10 e-mails daily from photographers. Guess what happens to their e-mails? I don't even read them.

Who we do consider is people who CALL us and set up an appointment to show us some work. In person, dressed nicely and on time. Who don't come across as too cocky (hint, hint). Granted, you've got to be proud of your own work, or you're in the wrong business, but don't be too sure your work is that much better than theirs. Remember, they are probably working with an art director or reporter who has their own ideas on what the shoot should look like.

Jerry

The main thing in marketing is to catch the potential client's attention. The best way I know of is to be different from the rest of the crowd. Today, to me, that means sending a letter via snail mail with a few colorful stamps on the envelope. In your letter you request a meeting to discuss how beneficial you can be to the publication, etc, etc.

Getting published is easy. If that is the goal, there are plenty of small publications willing to take newcomers' work cheap. Getting published in the better publications is another story. You say your work is good enough, fine. Now you need to learn about marketing. It is fine to go after this one magazine but why just this one? The more publications you hit with your promo effort the more chances of actually getting published :lol:

And don't forget all the web only "publications."

One of my favorite source of inspiration for promos is "Guerilla Marketing" by Jay Conrad Levinson.

First of all, Thank you. Most beneficial post I've seen thus far. I truly appreciate it.

I don't plan on just going after this one magazine. There at the least 4 or 5 other local magazines that have the same style. But I wanted to start with this one just because.

IN OTHER WORDS....IS THERE ANY OTHER WAYS OF GETTING THEM TO ACCEPT MY WORK FOR A SHOOT BESIDES JUST EMAILING THEM?

Probably not. I'm just going to email the editor. If they want it, then they want it.

First off forget about e-mailing the editor. Won't do a bit of good. I'm a photo editor at a newspaper and I get between 8-10 e-mails daily from photographers. Guess what happens to their e-mails? I don't even read them.

Who we do consider is people who CALL us and set up an appointment to show us some work. In person, dressed nicely and on time. Who don't come across as too cocky (hint, hint). Granted, you've got to be proud of your own work, or you're in the wrong business, but don't be too sure your work is that much better than theirs. Remember, they are probably working with an art director or reporter who has their own ideas on what the shoot should look like.

Jerry

This is something I wanted to hear. Lol , and yes I am not cocky. I need to be blunt on here sometimes because there's a lot of tards. (here comes another warning...) But I've met with very distinguished people in the area with multi million dollar businesses. You need to display confidence with the same level of respect.

Thanks a bunch Jerry, this has completely changed my game plan. Good thing I haven't email whored yet. :lol:

I don't plan on just going after this one magazine. There at the least 4 or 5 other local magazines that have the same style. But I wanted to start with this one just because.

I don't know what "just because" is and I really don't care. Your life. But how many opportunities are you putting aside while waiting for this one which may not even pan out.

4/5 local magazines? What about national magazines? Just because the magazine is not local doesn't mean you can't approach them.

I don't know what "just because" is and I really don't care. Your life. But how many opportunities are you putting aside while waiting for this one which may not even pan out.

4/5 local magazines? What about national magazines? Just because the magazine is not local doesn't mean you can't approach them.

Damn dude. lol. Take your pills. I've never been published before. My work is good but not david hill good. So I thought about starting small and working my way up. Like anyone else would. Sorry I'm not meeting your expectations. Once I talk to all my local magazines, I promise I'll contact national geographic and ask them If they would like to have a monkey on seamless paper.:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back