how to photograph coloured people

amby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hii friends,

just wanted to ask that how we can photograph coloured people as i have experienced that while we take pics it turns out very odd.
like the skin seems very oily and the person being photographed seems more darker than he is.
so can anyone please give me some tips on this topic :p:er:

"Coloured"? Really? Did we time warp back to Sixties?

Edit: I just noticed the original poster's location. I apologize for assuming that you were American who should understand the loaded connotations that "coloured" has here in America.

What a world we live in, please enlighten those of us from planet earth how to address this issue, the OP was obviously being as polite as possible but the PC police are everywhere these days. H

I personally am about as far from PC as you can get. But, I have to say I thought the OP saw the other post about how to "photograph a black model" and found it didn't fit his situation. I then thought that he was trying to photograph some other color. Some people read this and immediately thought of one color in particular....hmmmm (white, olive, tan, black, urine colored, etc. people are many different colors). And if you think about it, "white people" are the most colored people there is...White people can be white (actually a peach color), tan, black & blue, sun burned red, scared white, feeling blue...That's pretty colored to me, it's almost a whole rainbow there.

Just adding my 2¢ to add some light humor and maybe open some eyes :mrgreen:

Well c'mon guys, answer the OP's question already. Here's my attempt: if you're trying to shoot someone of colour, especially if they are a darker colour, you'll notice your camera will underexpose alot, especially if you're using a simpler point and shoot (Are you using one?). The camera will by default meter the whole picture for your background AND your subject. This means that it will probably make your background look good, but your subject too dark.

You fix this by adjusting your camera's exposure compensation. That's the button that has this symbol +/-

Force the camera to go slightly brighter than it wants to and you'll get a good exposure for someone with darker skin.

"Coloured"? Really? Did we time warp back to Sixties?

Edit: I just noticed the original poster's location. I apologize for assuming that you were American who should understand the loaded connotations that "coloured" has here in America.

i know what colored people mean in your context but i didn't mean it i just referred to colored people "Indians" :hugs:

The SPELLING of "coloured" should have given the OP's location away. Seriously. And they ARE coloured, i.e. - NOT white.

West Benegal. I'd give my 6th toe to take a photojourney out there.

My son is black, and I have no issues at all photographing him. Their skin will appear more oily because many times it is. They have their own hair and skin care section in the store because they have their own sets of issues, just like white people have theirs.. Even if they have a freshly washed face, dark colors reflect moisture more than lighter skin-just the nature of the beast. So if they're the slightest bit sweaty, you'll see it as shiny. If it's a modeling shoot, try powder that matches their skin tone closely to take some of the shine away.

You can still see a little bit of sheen there that probably wouldn't have shown up on someone fairer skinned. I've noticed this quite often when taking pictures of myself and of co-workers. Imperfections also have a habit of coming up more pronounced than others as well - that just my observation.

the reason i didnt answer, is because the topic is already going on.. thats why i posted a link to the thread where its happening
...... and that gives you license to be narky?
seriously... there is ALREADY a thread about this going on RIGHT NOW.. use the search bar....

With having only a few posts and a join date of Dec 08, the OP may not have been aware.

If memory serves me correctly, you are a pastor, a youth pastor...... do you show such compassion and patience with your flock or whatever they are called these days?

firstly i wouldnt at all say i was "narky" mainly because I don't know what that word means... second, theres nothing I said in my post that would make me a bad youth pastor... the kids that i work with understand me, they understand that I don't have time for foolishness.. and yes, I would be blunt like this with them.. its what they want..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back