i am freaking! need help with nikon d60...

I would strongly suggest returning the camera and buying a point and shoot. If you are this concerned with live view I do not think a DSLR is for you. Why did you feel you should buy a DSLR anyway and not a point and shoot digital?

I would strongly suggest returning the camera and buying a point and shoot. If you are this concerned with live view I do not think a DSLR is for you. Why did you feel you should buy a DSLR anyway and not a point and shoot digital?

If you would like this question answered scroll up and read village idiot's signature...

Dude, no need for live view. My camera has it and I've only used it a few times when the camera was really low and I couldn't see through the viewfinder.

yep, thats the area i was hoping to exploit. all the crazy angles.... you dont have to get down or anywhere, you just look on the display. i was just bored constantly looking through the view-finder when i had to take photo like that.

oh and i phoned with the shop technician and he said basicaly the same thing that the use of view-finder is better, lol. and also that only the super expensive nikons have live view. hm, there goes my exchange for another... :thumbdown:

See that little viewfinder? THAT'S your live view.

my thoughts exactly. i will need like an eye surgery to see through that....

just how come all the compacts have it and most of the the reflex cameras dont? wierd.

the technician guy also suggested canon 450 or sony 300, 350

Get dirty man, down on your knees, on your chest, anything, if you want the shot work for it! you wont get bored then.

Buy a DR-6 Right Angle Finder, or a ZigView S2 (Fits D80, not sure about D60)

yep, thats the area i was hoping to exploit. all the crazy angles.... you dont have to get down or anywhere, you just look on the display. i was just bored constantly looking through the view-finder when i had to take photo like that.

oh and i phoned with the shop technician and he said basicaly the same thing that the use of view-finder is better, lol. and also that only the super expensive nikons have live view. hm, there goes my exchange for another... :thumbdown:

The shop technician either didnt know what he was talking about or he just wanted to upsell you. Yes, in certain situations where you have to put your camera against a wall or the ground, live-view will work better than the viewfinder. But that's like, what - 0.01% of the pictures you might want to take? Even in those cases, I can bet that you just readjust slightly so that you can use the viewfinder without compromising the composition by a noticeable degree.

Don't mean to be harsh, but I am happy that you can't afford the live-view nikons. Because judging from this thread, it will just be a utter waste of a fine camera body.

Relax. You will look less like a dork if you hold the camera to your eye. (Sorry, just a pre-digital bias. :) )

Read your manual: there is also a slider on the eyepiece that can correct for poor vision. You may have accidentally slid it into a position not suitable to your eyes.

P.S. The camera has a review screen. Just shoot the shot from wherever you like, then see if you got in on the review. It's digital, it won't cost you a thing to waste a few shots.

Last edited:
This is pretty funny :) I have to admit, it took me a little while to get used to the viewfinder again when I got my DSLR, but now I feel like a perfect idiot when I take someone's pic (with their camera) with the back display. I feel like I might as well start screaming something like, "I'M A TOURIST! I'M A TOURIST!"

The only time it would be nice for me to have is if I am trying to prop my camera on something and its hard for me to use the viewfinder because the camera is higher or lower than I can view through.

Wow, if you're "wrecked" by the fact that a D60 (which is a superb entry-level body btw) does not have live view, you might want to reconsider the move to DSLRs.

If Live view is your priority, get a P&S. There plenty of relatively inexpensive, great quality point and shoots. The Canon G9, for example.

The lowest model in the Canon DSLR lineup (i don't know Nikons as well) with Live View is the XSI or 450D.

But again, if your main concern (it almost seems like it's your only concern...) is having the live-view, you should seriously reconsider getting into DSLRS.

Not only does it look rather dumb for someone to be using Live View on every single shot, it also compromises your stability due to the extra weight and decrease from 3 contact points on the Camera to 2.

buying a compact wasnt really my choice tbh. i wanted a beginner-in-digital-photography-wise reflex camera and d60 seemed like a fine choice. i just dont know how i overlooked this lol. interesting news in the wikipedia article... "Almost all modern bridges and compact cameras have a movie mode, while no DSLR has so far offered this option. DSLRs, on the other hand, have a faster performance than other cameras in many areas (for example, start-up time, shutter lag, continuous mode, etc)."

getting a live view wasn't really my only concern but i thought of using it a lot as i do a lot of tricky angles...

The shop technician either didnt know what he was talking about or he just wanted to upsell you. Yes, in certain situations where you have to put your camera against a wall or the ground, live-view will work better than the viewfinder. But that's like, what - 0.01% of the pictures you might want to take? Even in those cases, I can bet that you just readjust slightly so that you can use the viewfinder without compromising the composition by a noticeable degree.

Don't mean to be harsh, but I am happy that you can't afford the live-view nikons. Because judging from this thread, it will just be a utter waste of a fine camera body.

i think you misunderstood. he was arguing for the use view-finder not for live view. basicaly he said the same about the stability as you.

lol, thats ok. i wouldnt buy it anyways... i believe in starting with basics. that one would be a bit over my head i guess.

If you would like this question answered scroll up and read village idiot's signature...

I is so wise!

i think you misunderstood. he was arguing for the use view-finder not for live view. basicaly he said the same about the stability as you.

lol, thats ok. i wouldnt buy it anyways... i believe in starting with basics. that one would be a bit over my head i guess.

DSLR's have a sensor that's operated by a shutter. That means that the only time the sensor is recording is when the shutter is open. P&S cameras have a sensor that's open all the time so when you see the image on the back of the LCD, it's because you're seeing through the sensor. To achiece this, a DSLR with the Live View function have to flip up the mirror and expose the sensor. So of the "oldest" Live View DSLR's can't auto focus while using live view because of how the focus screen is situated.

The cheapest camera that offers Live View is about $900 and it's a Canon. So unless you're willing to switch brands, deal with it.

Oops. My mistake. But like Village Idiot said, just deal with it. Your first concern should be mastering the art of photography, not the art of taking pictures from physically impossible angles. I am willing to bet that after using the view-finder for a couple of thousands of shots, you will get used to it and learn to love it in no time.

And plus, that d60 is going to open up a new realm of creativity for you to explore so I doubt that you would regret the lack of live-view for long.

Good luck with your learning process and i hope to see some pics up for C+C soon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back