i am freaking! need help with nikon d60...

My Olympus e-510 has live view and I have usd it a few times with tricky situations. It is a beginner camera in case you are interested.

I aswell have the Olympus E-510.

The only reason i went with this camera and not others is because it had "Live Veiw". Trust me, your not missing out. I NEVER use the live veiw function anymore, using the view finder is the way to go...as i found out. But if you are ever looking for a camera with this function the 510 is an excellent and is alot more affordable than other DSLRS.

remember a DSLR is often a good deal heavier than a point and shoot - holding it at arms length for liveview is not going to help prevent camers shake - especially as nikon (and canon) DSLRs don't have anti shake technology in the body - but rather in the lens - which means only certain (costly) lenses contain the tech (called VR in nikon terms).
I don't know the kit lens for your camera, but chances are it might not have VR - and if it does not you will want to use that viewfinder to reduce shake as much as you can

I think the live view could be useful, but if you are looking for a camera that has live view and wont take any other camera, you should stick to P&S. It could be handy, but it will probably rarely be used...

I have Live View on my D300 but, never use it. I had the option to use it with my Coolpix995 but, I didnt use it. Im old fashioned I guess. To me looking through the camera to get a picture is actually the best part of the experience,

aahhh, yeah, laughing at someones expense is a sure fire way to help them out. I thought this was a place were people got help even with the simplest problem. Im sure there are alot of people on here, including myself, that were not born with that information programmed into their DNA, but learned from somone else just like this person did. Just remember, you might know more about photography than someone, but dont know the first thing about something they specialize in. Sorry if that came across bluntly, but as a fellow newby, that ticked me off...

I remember when I bought my first camera. I wanted a BIG one... (Not knowing the Canon PowerShot S2 IS wasnt as big as I thought, it was sure enough bigger than the other P&Ss. Anyways...I remembered looking through the "view finder" on there to find out how crappy of image quality it was! It was a tiny LCD screen. Whats the point of that, to block the sun out, thats it. The resolution was tiny. One of the biggest reasons why i switched to DSLR is because I wanted an optical view finder...

aahhh, yeah, laughing at someones expense is a sure fire way to help them out. I thought this was a place were people got help even with the simplest problem. Im sure there are alot of people on here, including myself, that were not born with that information programmed into their DNA, but learned from somone else just like this person did. Just remember, you might know more about photography than someone, but dont know the first thing about something they specialize in. Sorry if that came across bluntly, but as a fellow newby, that ticked me off...

A lot of people also like to research what they're buying whenever they drop $600+ on something.

Last time I checked, my DNA isn't made up of photography information, but I knew what I was getting when I bought my 30D. You'd think if that was the most important feature of the camera, he would have at least asked the sales man about it before he purchased it.

High horse?
Get off it. :meh:

yeah seriously, blowing several hundred dollars on a beautiful DSLR only to be pissed at an unnecessary feature is just...

haxan didn't do his/her homework. i wish i had the money to blow on something like that without thinking too hard about it. >_>

Haxan,

Don't sweat it...When I bought my D40x I thought it had live-view as well, based on the simple fact that it was my very first digital camera but not my first slr (N80) camera. For what it's worth live-view can quickly deteriorate in usability outdoors, at least from my experience w/video camcorders.

Now for the funny...Last New years Eve I hand the busboy my D40 to get a group photo around the fireplace. He's lookin' at my camera like it's infested w/lice. I tell him it's ez to use, just push the silver button--I had already set the zoom. He finally says to me that my camera is broken and won't work. I was like, "WHAT? I just used it..." Turns out the poor kid had never used a dslr, hence he didn't have a clue that you had to use the viewfinder instead of the LCD.

have a good one
3Eo

The viewfinder works in real time -- every time I pick up a P&S I'm reminded of the lag on the LCD screen, you can miss a lot of photos from that delay. The D60 is a great camera, give it a chance! :)

If you do go down to P&S, I would suggest the Kodak Easyshare Z885. Its a great camera and takes great pictures if you know what your doing. If not, learn as much as you can about this camera through the net and the manual and experiment as much as you can to get the best pictures. I promice you will love it in the long run.

Mark

This is pretty funny :) I have to admit, it took me a little while to get used to the viewfinder again when I got my DSLR, but now I feel like a perfect idiot when I take someone's pic (with their camera) with the back display. I feel like I might as well start screaming something like, "I'M A TOURIST! I'M A TOURIST!"

yea lol. thats one of the reasons i rejected notion if buying an compact. would probably turned japanese if i did. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back