i am freaking! need help with nikon d60...

Oops. My mistake. But like Village Idiot said, just deal with it. Your first concern should be mastering the art of photography, not the art of taking pictures from physically impossible angles. I am willing to bet that after using the view-finder for a couple of thousands of shots, you will get used to it and learn to love it in no time.

And plus, that d60 is going to open up a new realm of creativity for you to explore so I doubt that you would regret the lack of live-view for long.

Good luck with your learning process and i hope to see some pics up for C+C soon.

yea, now that i cooled down a bit a checked other models and options i just my get used to the idea i have no........ live view. uh, well i guess its just matter of getting adjusted to it. and yea i will be probably doing a lot learning and reading as i have almost no experience with a digital camera body.
couple of thousand shots?! i dont know at which rate i am supposed to take pics with digital but with analog it was much much less than that lol.

thanks, i am not promising anything but as soon i get hang of it i will prolly post something. :)

My Olympus e-510 has live view and I have usd it a few times with tricky situations. It is a beginner camera in case you are interested.

i decided that i will give the nikon a go. my previous film camera was also a nikon plus i am sort of fond of the nikon ergonomy and also feels right when i hold it. also its cos i might be indoctrinated by my friend back from the school which was literaly a die hard nikon person.. constantly raving about it like a spanish nikon inquisition lol

couple of thousand shots?! i dont know at which rate i am supposed to take pics with digital but with analog it was much much less than that lol.

That's one of the great things about digital. You can take as many pics as you want and just delete the ones that don't work out. Not like film where you have buy the film, get it processed, and hope the shots turn out.

BTW, i have a D60 and it is a great camera.

Haha, I know how you feel. Back when I was doing B&W on a film Canon Rebel K2 I would probably on average take a single shot every 5-10 minutes, taking pains to make absolutely sure that my exposure and composition was perfect. Going any faster than that was simply too much of a strain on the wallet with the current prices of good quality B&W film.

But when I first started on my canon xti, i would literally take 20 shots per hour even when the light/composition wasn't ideal and upwards of 200-300 shots per hour when the lighting is perfect or when I get a really interesting subject.

Though you should not over-do it as you can very easily get into the realm of "snapshooting" versus actual photography if you get shutter-happy. But being able to take shots without consequences has actually really improved my skills because I am able to much easily experiment with different exposure and composition techniques without worrying about the cost.

FYI, when i first started, maybe only 1 shot per 100 made past my initial review into post processing. But after I got the hang of it, it quickly grew to 10-20 shots per 100

A lot of people also like to research what they're buying whenever they drop $600+ on something.

Last time I checked, my DNA isn't made up of photography information, but I knew what I was getting when I bought my 30D. You'd think if that was the most important feature of the camera, he would have at least asked the sales man about it before he purchased it.

High horse?
Get off it. :meh:

Im not on a high horse and I did blow my stack, and sure people should fully research any product they are buying, they admitted that, but I just didnt think some reactions, including mine when I think about it, were necessary. There are 2 objectives on this forum, to learn and to help. Those of us who want to learn, myself fully included, dont want to be put off asking any further questions at the risk of being a laughing stock. We just want CC, not made fun of.

Cheers.

If you think the "no live video display" is a rude awakening, just wait till you get a chance to process some of your photos taken in RAW. Post processing can be a nightmare for us DSLR newbs =) Good thing I learned all about photoshop years before I purchased a DSLR.

Hope you have a fast computer =) Good luck. Just be patient and relax. You'll learn to appreciate your DSLR and love it!

If you think the "no live video display" is a rude awakening, just wait till you get a chance to process some of your photos taken in RAW. Post processing can be a nightmare for us DSLR newbs =) Good thing I learned all about photoshop years before I purchased a DSLR.

Hope you have a fast computer =) Good luck. Just be patient and relax. You'll learn to appreciate your DSLR and love it!

Oh and that rude awakening when you realize your new shiny AF lens doesn't actually auto focus ;)

Last edited:
oh the pain the pain...

Here, I have a solution for you.

1. Take DSLR in hand.
2. Open box DSLR came from.
3. Re-pack DSLR.
4. Return DSLR.
5. Buy point and shoot.
6. Move on with life.

Sorry, but I mean come on...

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice avatar... I'm no prude but this board tends to be on the "clean" side. May want to reconsider that. :)

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice avatar... I'm no prude but this board tends to be on the "clean" side. May want to reconsider that. :)

Ok, ok. But I'm doing this just for you Mana :lmao:

Ok, ok. But I'm doing this just for you Mana :lmao:

hehehe, hey I didn't care. I thought it was funny. :) Like your new one though. :)

Yeah. I like this one too. It is an oldie though; Lobo from DC Comics. I was having a bit of fun with Photoshop and thought it would make a pretty kewl avatar.

hi guys, i am sorry i didnt responded to any of your posts but i was away in Israel for three weeks and now i am finaly back with lots of photos. now i am back with about 2500 photos and have a job of processing them so given my previous entré i have naturaly few quiestions :)

is there some good prog for doing this? beside photoshop. or is it good to do it only in photoshop?
i have lots of vertical shots but when i open them they are in horizontal position. is there some way i can adjust them all to vertical in one go?
i have have taken lots of pics but i want to pick only some of them... is there some way to designate those that i want without writing down number of each and every photo i want?

btw about the live-view... i can really see now that i dont need it. one guy had there had the canon dslr used it a bit and it came in handy when he used it but generaly even if i had it i would probably use mostly the view-finder. the only **** up with the view-finder in nikon tho is that its quite small... canon has bigger. i wasnt always able to determine all the details in corners which was a bit anoying.

oh and after some time of using it and looking at the pictures i still think film is better. the depth of field trace is much better (at least on that camera i had) and there isnt always so radical contrast between dark and white areas. maybe i just didnt know how to use it yet cos i didnt have any time to study the manual but this is how it looked to me.

hi guys, i am sorry i didnt responded to any of your posts but i was away in Israel for three weeks and now i am finaly back with lots of photos. now i am back with about 2500 photos and have a job of processing them so given my previous entré i have naturaly few quiestions :)

is there some good prog for doing this? beside photoshop. or is it good to do it only in photoshop?
i have lots of vertical shots but when i open them they are in horizontal position. is there some way i can adjust them all to vertical in one go?
i have have taken lots of pics but i want to pick only some of them... is there some way to designate those that i want without writing down number of each and every photo i want?

btw about the live-view... i can really see now that i dont need it. one guy had there had the canon dslr used it a bit and it came in handy when he used it but generaly even if i had it i would probably use mostly the view-finder. the only **** up with the view-finder in nikon tho is that its quite small... canon has bigger. i wasnt always able to determine all the details in corners which was a bit anoying.

oh and after some time of using it and looking at the pictures i still think film is better. the depth of field trace is much better (at least on that camera i had) and there isnt always so radical contrast between dark and white areas. maybe i just didnt know how to use it yet cos i didnt have any time to study the manual but this is how it looked to me.

Where are you located? You went to Isreal? That's great! I would like to see some of the shots you got. You said you have a lot of pictures that you have to rotate (they are sideways), yes you can run a batch in Photoshop that will allow you to rotate the open or selected. You also said you didn't have time to read the manual. How long was the flight to Isreal from wherever you call home? The manual (may only be bathroom reading) is actually very informative. You may also want to check out youtube for some other basic tutorials if you learn better from watching.

Most reactions

Back