I am getting a new Camera and want some input..

Sachphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok,
So here goes. Im movign up... lol.. Anywho. I am wanting to move up to either a D300+ grip or a D3.. Not interested in the d700 or D3X at this point. You all have seen my work and now my style I shoot. What are the Real Differances. An yes One is full frame and one is not. I guess the question would be. Do you think the D300 with good glass would have similiar image quality as a D3. If you laugh in my face at my ignorance that is fine. I was sent on a d3 last month but had someting come up...#$@$#$IRS!#@%$ so it had to wait. But now I am ready again. SO let me here it... D300 + good glass or go D3... I have lenses that will accomadate a D3 FX sensor so thats not an issues. So give me input..

Thanks

Daniel

Personally, I think you'd find the full frame of the D3 and its out of this world High ISO capabilities to make that a camera you'd enjoy more than a D300. I shoot a mix of crop-body and full frame cameras, and for *me* I really like the much larger capture area of FF, which is 864 square millimeters, as opposed to Nikon's DX format which is 370 square millimeters.

The way I see it, the FX format allows you to use many lenses as they were intended to be used. An 85mm lens on FX is easy to use indoors; To show a six foot tall person with say a total field of view of 8.47 feet to allow for head- and foot-space and for the ability to make say,and 8x10 crop, with a DX format camera you need to be 30.6 feet away; with an FX format camera, you can frame the same person with the same image height, from only 20 feet away.

FX returns all the focal lengths to their former behavior and angle of view; a 24mm becomes a wide-angle again, and an 85mm is actually USEFUL indoors for full-length shots. Same goes for the 105 and 135mm lengths, and the 70-200 also become much more usable indoors. The D3 also brings with it that killer ISO advantage that the crop-bodied cameras lack, with an image capture area 2.33x larger than a D300 has. For some reason,many people seem to have this mental impression that a DX sensor is only is "fifty percent smaller" than FX is-but the actual size difference is 2.33 times larger for full-frame. That's significant.

For me, there are several very real,tangible advantages to an FX format camera. I also think voice annotation is very handy,and the D3 has that.

Personally, I think you'd find the full frame of the D3 and its out of this world High ISO capabilities to make that a camera you'd enjoy more than a D300. I shoot a mix of crop-body and full frame cameras, and for *me* I really like the much larger capture area of FF, which is 864 square millimeters, as opposed to Nikon's DX format which is 370 square millimeters.

The way I see it, the FX format allows you to use many lenses as they were intended to be used. An 85mm lens on FX is easy to use indoors; To show a six foot tall person with say a total field of view of 8.47 feet to allow for head- and foot-space and for the ability to make say,and 8x10 crop, with a DX format camera you need to be 30.6 feet away; with an FX format camera, you can frame the same person with the same image height, from only 20 feet away.

FX returns all the focal lengths to their former behavior and angle of view; a 24mm becomes a wide-angle again, and an 85mm is actually USEFUL indoors for full-length shots. Same goes for the 105 and 135mm lengths, and the 70-200 also become much more usable indoors. The D3 also brings with it that killer ISO advantage that the crop-bodied cameras lack, with an image capture area 2.33x larger than a D300 has. For some reason,many people seem to have this mental impression that a DX sensor is only is "fifty percent smaller" than FX is-but the actual size difference is 2.33 times larger for full-frame. That's significant.

For me, there are several very real,tangible advantages to an FX format camera. I also think voice annotation is very handy,and the D3 has that.

WTH is voice annotation. Also does anybody happen to have or can take a shot with a D3 at around 12000 ISO. I am very curious to see the results.
I shoot a lot of landscape stuff so the full frame would be sweet. More input please!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back