I have about 1600$ to spend.

Havok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, so this is my first post, and I really wanted to get some good input on what I should buy.

so I currently "USE" my brothers 700D with its kit lens 18-55mm
and I've finally got enough money to spend on some camera gear.
I have about 1600$ converted from my own currency which is about 6000 AED
I'd prefer it to be from Canon. I don't hate Nikon, but I feel comfortable with Canon and I don't want to learn something new.
the things I need is a new camera body (preferred with its kit lens) , a good lens for wide angle landscape/astrophotography
a tripod, a monopod a camera bag, battery and battery grip if possible.

things I already own, a gorilla-pod, cleaning kit and a 50mm f1.8 from canon

thank you so much.

If you limit yourself to Canon only then I would wait for the new Canon 80D, looks like an interesting camera, good AF system, good video capability.

Learn how to use it well and by then you will know what you want to add to it.
Another option is Canon T6S which is also good and will be cheaper then the 80D but I would recommend going with the 80D

Good luck

The 70d is a very nice enthusiast level camera. It can be bought with a 18-135 mm stm kit lens, this should allow you enough left over for Canon's cheap but good 10-18stm. You may however be better going a little more expensive for a tokina 11-16 f2.8 if you intend on doing astro photos.

If you limit yourself to Canon only then I would wait for the new Canon 80D, looks like an interesting camera, good AF system, good video capability.

Learn how to use it well and by then you will know what you want to add to it.
Another option is Canon T6S which is also good and will be cheaper then the 80D but I would recommend going with the 80D

Good luck

When will the 80D come out in the middle east if you have any idea?

The 70d is a very nice enthusiast level camera. It can be bought with a 18-135 mm stm kit lens, this should allow you enough left over for Canon's cheap but good 10-18stm. You may however be better going a little more expensive for a tokina 11-16 f2.8 if you intend on doing astro photos.

I was thinking about the 70D, but the 80D is almost out I think, also what do you think about the Samyang 10mm 2.8? its a bit cheaper than the Tokina one

I'm not familiar with the samyang lens.

When the 80d comes out it will be expensive. From the spec sheet I'd see very little that the 80d does better than the 70d for your preferred type of photography

The 80D might have a sensor from the brand new Canon fab.

Which possibly means it will have a good chunk better performance.

I'm not familiar with the samyang lens.

When the 80d comes out it will be expensive. From the spec sheet I'd see very little that the 80d does better than the 70d for your preferred type of photography

its pretty much a Rokinon under a different brand name.
You think? I'm also getting into film making, would I benefit from the Audio out jack on the 80D ?

It depends how seriously you want to go into astro imo. I think a used 6D with a 24-105 would be better than any crop sensor camera. It's a pity that you limit yourself to Canon. I think you get more for your money buying Nikon at the moment (a used 610 should be quite cheap). I've recently switched and am amazed at how quickly I learned the 'Nikon way', from using Canon for more than 10 years.

It depends how seriously you want to go into astro imo. I think a used 6D with a 24-105 would be better than any crop sensor camera. It's a pity that you limit yourself to Canon. I think you get more for your money buying Nikon at the moment (a used 610 should be quite cheap). I've recently switched and am amazed at how quickly I learned the 'Nikon way', from using Canon for more than 10 years.

How well does Nikon preform when it comes to video? cause I'm not only going to be doing Photography, I'm trying to get into film making for a friend as well.

I don't think Nikon is as good with video as some canons, but I think if you are serious about making videos, you should use a video camera. The best of both worlds would probably be the 70d or 80d if video making is a priority, but as mentioned the 80d will probably blow your budget...

goooner said:
I don't think Nikon is as good with video as some canons, but I think if you are serious about making videos, you should use a video camera. The best of both worlds would probably be the 70d or 80d if video making is a priority, but as mentioned the 80d will probably blow your budget...

Canon has the reputation for being "better at video than Nikon"...but that's not really true any more. Look for a microphone jack on a number of compact Canon cameras....missing in action. A year ago, one of the major review sites called the Nikon D5300 the best of all the small d-slr's for video.

There's an alarming moire problem with the Canon 70D shown in this video. This video comparison gives you an idea of how Canon and Nikon are alike and how they are different. THis fellow's video comparisons are pretty interesting.

As far as SMALL-camera video making...Panasonic is really the company to look at when you're on a budget.

I just got a 7Dmkii w/ 18-135mm 'open box' from Adorama. It was under $1500. Has full warranty. I believe that deal is still available. If so there is not a better deal on the planet right now.

80D will not be a huge step up from the 70D but it should have a better low light performance and that's already a reason to get it.
The 70D is not exactly an amazing low light beast so any improvement will be good and I think you should expect a nice improvement between these 2 models.
Again if you are only limiting yourself to Canon I would go for the 80D, I think it should be worth the wait.
As for when it will be available in the Middle East, I don't know but I assume once Canon release a model they release it about same time world wide.

80D will not be a huge step up from the 70D but it should have a better low light performance and that's already a reason to get it.
The 70D is not exactly an amazing low light beast so any improvement will be good and I think you should expect a nice improvement between these 2 models.
Again if you are only limiting yourself to Canon I would go for the 80D, I think it should be worth the wait.
As for when it will be available in the Middle East, I don't know but I assume once Canon release a model they release it about same time world wide.

I'm trying to be not as biased towards one company over the other, its just I've used Canon ever since, I've tried the 1200D, the 700D, and my friend's 70D, and thats why I'm so used to Canon.
I'm willing to use Nikon, I've seen some comparisons between the D7100 and the 70D, also I looked at the D7200, and I can say that the D7200 is really promising, one thing I hate about it tho is the fact that it doesn't have the articulating screen.

and one good thing also is the fact that here, Lenses with Nikon mounts are usually cheaper.

70D. I like it a lot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back