I just offered to do a wedding for free...

I just shot my first pressure free wedding, but I will tell you that even my really super sweet nice young bride flipped on me once because I was not doing my job! lol

Good luck. I have seen your work before and I think you are selling yourself short doing it for free.

I say if your wanna do it for free, just do it. Dont think about the other photographer who might get 2k out of this wedding. If you think doing a free gig would really benifit YOU and YOUR career, do it.
I did my first wedding for 350$, it paid for the gear i did rent, and the booze at the party! (i had like 10 friends invited to this wedding, so i stayed for the whole night)

Even if you do it for free, you are, in a sense, still getting paid. Once you finish shooting, you have your first wedding portfolio pieces. From there on out, you'll have previous work to show people, and that's potential money in the bank.

In my opinion, there's NOTHING wrong with doing one for free if you're just starting out. I've asked friends to pose for portraits, and had no interest in getting paid for it. It's practice.. and practice ultimately pays the bills.

I think the point is being missed at this point.
The bride is the one who hasn't gotten back to Aaryia.
The bride is the one uncomfortable with her lack of experience as a wedding shooter.
Paid or not. It's the brides decision.

I think you are in an interesting spot Aaryia. Do you continue pushing yourself on her? For a free shoot? Hmmmm...I wouldn't. It' smells of desperation.

I do think you should keep talking to her, and maybe help her find a "pro" to do it, but that you also get to second shoot. I think it's the only way to cover all the bases. She will feel more comfortable paying someone who does this regularly, and she is ( I say this loosely) garaunteed what she paid for, then you also get to shoot, get images for your port, experience, and you get to show up a pro. :p

I'll chime in on this one...I think that you are selling yourself short but I understand where the bride is coming from in lacking confidence in someone that has not shot a wedding before. I would offer a discounted rate...giving something away for free, IMO, is saying that you don't have confidence in your product.

yea, if she is questioning you already, I agree with Bitter here...doesnt sound good.

In that case you should consider what BigMike said about taking business away from your photographer 'peers.' This couple might be considering paying a photographer $2,000 and when you do it for free it kinda messes up the market for those depending on gigs to pay their rent.

When we admit that most wedding photography is a scam, one in which I took part once upon a time :), the world will be a better place to live in.

I learned plumbing after being charged over $100 for some idiot to run a drain pipe up instead of down and I ended up re-doing the job myself. I learned electricity and other construction trades for the same reason.

If people knew what they were doing and charged a reasonable price for their work, we wouldn't be having this kind of talk.

I did plenty of plumbing and other work for my friends, pros be damned. I also built houses for total strangers (HforH) and I couldn't care less if it took work away from the pros. No regrets here.

Whats everyones obsession with wanting to shoot weddings about? It seems like the most boring thing in the world to take pictures of....just saying.

In that case you should consider what BigMike said about taking business away from your photographer 'peers.' This couple might be considering paying a photographer $2,000 and when you do it for free it kinda messes up the market for those depending on gigs to pay their rent.

When we admit that most wedding photography is a scam, one in which I took part once upon a time :), the world will be a better place to live in.

I learned plumbing after being charged over $100 for some idiot to run a drain pipe up instead of down and I ended up re-doing the job myself. I learned electricity and other construction trades for the same reason.

If people knew what they were doing and charged a reasonable price for their work, we wouldn't be having this kind of talk.

I did plenty of plumbing and other work for my friends, pros be damned. I also built houses for total strangers (HforH) and I couldn't care less if it took work away from the pros. No regrets here.

Major +1!

For everyone saying she will be taking money out of a "pro's" pocket, I say o well.

If the bride wants a pro, she will hire one. If the bride wants someone to do it for free, she will have this OP do it.

If I donate my time to clean a park, I now have to worry about the cut backs im causing in the sanitation department???? Give me a break. If your any good at what you do, you have nothing to worry about.

If I donate my time to clean a park, I now have to worry about the cut backs im causing in the sanitation department???? Give me a break. If your any good at what you do, you have nothing to worry about.

You've got it, lol. The only people who need to worry are the bull****ters.

Thank you.

My opinion is its up to you but there is a way around this. Charge a practical amount then put it in your college fund for your kids. You did it for free and your kids still go to college.
Your quality has spoken for itself, just because you are shooting a wedding still means they are receiving a quality service.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back