I may be the most confused photo student ever...derp

say

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was taking portraits today, and I still dont fully understand exposure (which makes me so embarrassed).
This is how I understand it, and please help correct me or explain better if Im wrong:
Besides adjusting the light meter to change exposure, you can change the ISO and aperture.
The bigger the aperture is (smaller the number) the bigger the lens opening is meaning more light comes in.
The ISO is the sensitivity to light.
So when I was taking pictures today, at f5.6 and 200 ISO when correctly exposed in the light meter, the exposure time was too long and all my pictures were blurry. Is there anything I could do besides carrying around lights so my exposure times aren't as long and pictures dont come out blurry?

Im surprised you cant answer this!

If iso is sensitivity to light, what do you think you need to to do reduce shutter speed? Increase that iso!

Your exposure was to long because you didn’t have enough light for the settings. You could have increased (F2.8 or smallest F # for your lens) or increased your ISO to 400 or 800. Your camera should have some indication telling you what your shutter speed was going to be – what was it at the time you were shooting? It is true they all three work together, but to get a proper exposure you have to ensure they are all set with the given light you have.

Knowing your aperture and ISO settings is only half of what we need. We also need what lens you were using, and what the shutter speed ended up at.

were you shooting manual? the reason i ask is because you didn't seem to have a clear understanding that your shutter speed would go as slow as it did. that gives me thought to believe you might be shooting on auto or aperture priority or something.

anyway, switch to manual if you can, because it helps you understand what each function does, whether iso, aperture or shutter speed.

if your lens had a maximum aperture of f5.6, then i would agree with what photocist said to increase your iso (more sensitivity to light).
(the possible drawbacks to doing this is the image won't be as fine, and may come out with a little grain/noise)

if your lens does not have a max aperture of f5.6, and can go higher, to something like f4, or higher to f2.8, or even higher to f1.8, then set your aperture to such, and shoot from there, keeping your iso the same. dependent on how high your aperture is, will give you variable outcomes to the shutter speed, and whether or not it's bearable.
(the possible drawbacks to doing this will be that you may have a shallow depth, and depending on the subject, you will lose some parts in off focus segments of what lens you're using)

but it would definitely be helpful to let us know what lens you're using, including the max aperture of that lens. and what you were actually shooting/what you were trying to go for.

No need to be embarrassed, you've taken the correct step by asking for clarification. The majority of us are constantly learning. Maybe you could invest in some type of photography book for more clarification. Keep at it and it should become more clear over time.

If iso is sensitivity to light, what do you think you need to to do reduce shutter speed? Increase that iso!

What a load of rubbish,i think you have something wrong, he is going to get nowhere listening to you

If you are shooting Manual, chose your ISO first. It will have everything to do with the light you have. From there, you will dial into the lowest ap you can have. Then, dial into the shutter.

For instance, if you are shooting someone outdoors and high noon, 100iso, 11-16 ap, and 100-200 shutter is normally a good starting point.

If you are shooting in a bar, or someplace really dark, you might want to start at 1600iso (or higher), 2.8 ap (or lower) and between 80 and 125 shutter.

These are only starting points, and I normally dial in from there. Just remember than these three things work in tandum to one another.

Best wishes and happy shooting! And don't feel embarrassed about learning.

What a load of rubbish,i think you have something wrong, he is going to get nowhere listening to you

i honestly cant tell if you are serious or not LOL

I don't think you typed what you meant to say. Read it again. Raise ISO to lower shutter speed.

The OP needs a faster shutter speed, not slower (which is what I think you meant to type). Raising the ISO would also raise the shutter speed, not lower it.

I don't think you typed what you meant to say. Read it again. Raise ISO to lower shutter speed.

The OP needs a faster shutter speed, not slower (which is what I think you meant to type). Raising the ISO would also raise the shutter speed, not lower it.
Technically, the shutter speed is lowered, not SLOWER. Lower means more towards 0, where a faster shutter speed will be closer to zero than a slower one.

Faster shutter = lower shutter speed = closer to zero

I mean what I type and I type what I mean ;)

what! what is zero?

<_<

1/60 is closer to zero than 1/30. Therefore if I were to change my shutter speed from 1/30 to 1/60, one could say that 1/60 is faster OR reduced.

Technically, the shutter speed is lowered, not SLOWER. Lower means more towards 0, where a faster shutter speed will be closer to zero than a slower one.

Faster shutter = lower shutter speed = closer to zero

I mean what I type and I type what I mean ;)

A beginner is not going to understand this, they have only just learnt how to turn there camera on :lol:

Most reactions

Back