I want to go to school

udigoren

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's the best photography school you know (in the US or abroad)? I've set a big goal for myself and would like to get the best start possible.
Thanks

What kind of photography do you want to do?

Most of the major colleges have good programs.

For photojournalism, the University of Missouri is excellent.

For photography only schools, there is Brooks Institute.

There are many different schools. Try a google search and I bet you will find quite a few.

You wanna know the best start you can get. GO to a local community college that has FILM photography courses The old professor must smell like fixer. Here you won't shell out half a fortune to become a 'fine art' (oooooooooo) photographer. Even if you move on to digital, you will know how to get it right ON-CAMERA and not waste precious and valuable time on PS or whatever new and fandagled software you kids have lately. Learn photography from someone who knows it, not someone who knows how to take your money for it. Then you can be your own best judge on which school is right for you.

I went to School of Visual Arts. At the time it was an amazing experience. The quality of the teachers and students was second to none.

There are a lot of questions you will have to ask yourself and do tons of research. The most important thing to keep in mind is that photography (like most careers) takes a 100% commitment.

Love & Bass

What's the best photography school you know (in the US or abroad)? I've set a big goal for myself and would like to get the best start possible.
Thanks

The University of Syracuse in Syracuse, NY USA and the University of Southern California in Los Angeles are supposed to have great photo schools. Syracuse's photo course came about, if I'm not mistaken, because of their close proximity to Kodak's headquarters.

Crazy as it may seem the United States Naval Schools of Photography in Pensacola, FL (Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard) and the Air Force School of Photography in Boulder, CO (Air Force & Army) are options.

The military schools are fantastic and won't cost you anything to attend. There is the matter of surrendering the next four to five years of your life to military service.

I'm a graduate of the US Naval Schools of Photography and have never once regretted my military service, in fact quite the contrary. I don't know what country you are in but I'm sure similar schools exist in all nations of any appreciable size and/or with any medium to large sized armed forces.

Hey... it's an option and the schooling is an unbelievable experience.

http://www.navyphoto.org

If you want photography only schools, I went to Ohio Institute of Photogrpahy & Technology (OIP & T) in Dayton, OH. They are super focused on photography. But if you cannot handle critism I don't recommend it, because they will dish it out. Athough, that would be their jobs. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back