If you could do it all over again...

McQueen278

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...what equipment would you buy and how does it compare to what you have/had?

I would have never bought an Olympus outfit. $4k less

I wouldn't have bought a 40D either. $1.1k less

I would have bought a 135L instead of the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS $800 less

I would have bought a 14L instead of the 17-40L $400 more

Basically, I'd have two 5Ds, a 14L, 24L, 50L, 85L and a 135L.

I have one 5D and can't seem to find another, a 40D that died 15 days out of warranty, 17-40L, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. $900 less

I've sold a Canon 10-22, 28-135mm IS, 50mm f/1.8 $900 Less

I easily could afford my dream kit had I never wasted any money on stuff I didn't need. That is a sad realization, but at least I understand what I need much better now. I probably could have squeezed in a 400mm f/2.8 IS for not too much more money.

woulda coulda shoulda... hind sight is always 20-20, no need to dwell on mistakes so I won't go there.

I've been pretty happy so far with my purchases..

Next one is probably going to be a 50mm afs and another SB-600 with a stand/bracket.

I think 3 SB-600's and a 50mm would be a dynamite full body portrait/low light combination with my D700.

(keeps wishing Nikon made a 24mm f/1.4L)

With hindsight I would probably have not got most of my kit and gone for the 300mm f2.8 first! Course then I would never have discovered macro - so its probably a good thing I didn't do that.

Really - at the moment - the only things that I am unsure about in my setup is my tripod - 055XPROB - I still don'y like the manfrotto design for going low down and if I could go back I might have spent more on something like a Gitzo - however at the time Gitzo just seemed to cost (and still do) way too much!

I would have done a little more research and gotten the D90 to start. I had NO idea there were SO many different makes and models of DSLR. That being said, I think the only other not so great purchase I have made has been the Sigma 70-300. It is really soft throughout the focal range, not to mention at 300mm. I think I got one of those notorious "bad copies."

As it is, I'll have the D90 in a couple weeks; I have a great 50mm, a great 100mm, and two good kit zooms (18-55, 55-200). After making my initial purchase, joining this forum, and having nightmares where JerryPH chews me out about "research" :lol:, I've gotten a lot better at making purchases. Now if I could only apply that to my photography...

I wouldn't have done anything different because it's all I could have afforded at the time (or now even).

If I could have afforded more at the time, I would have gotten a dSLR, probably a D40 with my then limited knowledge.

If I had the money now and was starting, I would go with a D90

If I would do it all over again ...

Well ... I wish I started this hobby when I was still single. :lmao:

I just did it again. I sold all my digital equipment (K-mount) and started over with a D200 body and a 50mm f/1.8. I am now looking for cheap manual strobes, a 35mm f/1.8, and a wideangle. I got tired of asking the question and just did it.

I'd have kept my Program-A SLR and thus had gear I have effectively had to re-buy.

If I would do it all over again ...

Well ... I wish I started this hobby when I was still single. :lmao:
Me too!

LOL, that would change everything.

I would not have done a single thing differently. You see, doing your homework BEFORE means never having buyer's remorse, never having what you don't need and never making a bad purchase. Therefore, you will never have to cry about something in the future. ;)

Wouldn't have bought my Tamron - that's it, and even then I probably still would've bought it because I didn't own my 24 and 50 primes and I needed *something* lol.

I wouldn't have done anything differently. Well Maybe I wouldn't have bought my film cameras since film is just a hobby and digital is what I use for jobs & school. If I had the money at the time I would have gotten a 5D but all I could afford was the 40D so thats what I have and I am very happy with it.

Nothing so far. I bought a bridge p&s camera first for 250 and manage to learn what I could from that, work pretty well, learn alot about exposure and all of that in manual mode. This was late 2006. I upgrade to a D40 recently when it was on sale at BH photo and I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Maybe in a few year, I'll upgrade to a cheap D400?

Most reactions

Back