I'm getting monitos in August, and will buy me a tripod + ballhead

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've landed on Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod legs. Pretty much as much as I'm willing to spend on the legs, and I've read only good reviews about it. It goes high (me being 6'4") and really low, which I feel it a really big plus. I might get a 70-200L one day, and these legs will hold my 40D + battery grip + that lens.

As for ball head, I've pretty much decided on the manfrotto 498RC2. It's as expensive as I can afford (a tip I got from this board) and has a panning motion option.

Any views? For an amateur that doesn't need the best of the best, but something that will last for years and will serve me great in non-extreme situations, this will do, I think.

Should you strongly disagree, I will listen, of course :)

Compaq

The 055 legs and 498 head are an excellent combination; I use that same combination for my lightweight travel 'pod and it's taken a LOT of abuse over the years. One suggestion I will make though, is if you're thinking of getting glass the size/weight of a 70/200, then I would look toward the RC6 vice the RC2. The RC6 is a LOT more secure, and it's much easier to put on and remove from the tripod since it doesn't have to go on one particular way.

I can't find much information about rc6. rc4 quick release system, however, I can find info about. Could you point me in the right direction? And how much more expensive is it? Thanks for your opinions!

So what exactly are the advantages to the RC0 to the RC2? Other than perhaps being quicker to release the gear from the tripod head? Does it actually manage to carry more weight with greater stability? I'm under the impression that we're just talking about a release system...?

Releasing is pretty much the same as any other system, but it supports more weight and allows you to put the camera on the facing any direction. I find the RC2 system very 'finicky' and rarely use my monopod for that very reason. This is the system recommended for medium format cameras.

So what exactly are the advantages to the RC0 to the RC2? Other than perhaps being quicker to release the gear from the tripod head? Does it actually manage to carry more weight with greater stability? I'm under the impression that we're just talking about a release system...?
Being symmetrical, with 6 sides - there are 6 different directions it could be inserted at. The RC2 plate can only go in one way.

The only thing I would be worried about with that one is that it will probably stick out past the edges of the camera/tripod collar. The RC2 plates are smaller than my camera, so it doesn't really alter the profile of it too much...

I have the same combo (055XPROB+498RC2)

I have found tha the RC2 plate will not support the weight of my D300s and 70-200 in "Portrait" orientation but that's probably why the tripod collar allows the rotation of the body instead. I have never used the RC4 or RC6 plates.

As far as the quality of the tripod and ballhead? The tripod is stout. Not too heavy for carry. It is pretty versatile. The ballhead is fairly smooth, the more I use it the better it feels.

...it will probably stick out past the edges of the camera/tripod collar. The RC2 plates are smaller than my camera, so it doesn't really alter the profile of it too much...
True, it does. This can be a minor annoyance, but one that I am willing to put up with given all the benefits.

The Norwegian store I'm planning on buying from doesn't carry the RC0 system. I want to buy from a Norwegian store, and at this one I could get some % off, I think (friend working there).

Would I not be satisfied with the RC2 system? The telezoom is in the future, who knows when I'll get it.

The RC2 system works fine for me... I can see the benefits of being able to just grab the camera and stick it on the tripod without worrying about lining it up just right though...

IMO, this 6-sided plate seems perfect for ball heads, where the rectangular RC2 plate is good for pan/tilt heads.

edit
With a pan/tilt head, there IS a "front" to the head. And you will want your camera to be pointing that direction, so the knobs are accessible. With a ball head, that isn't so much of an issue ... so it wouldn't really matter which direction the camera was pointing when you mount it.

It's not available in the place I'm planning on buying, and I don't think I'll find this of much of an issue. If I do, you have my permission to rub it in my face ;)

I appreciate your input! Truly, this place is invaluable!

Most reactions

Back