I'm here To Learn

May Baby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Warning: Long read ahead...

I'm a 22 year old complete beginner and for a long time now i have been wanting to learn photography and how to become a real photography.

The problem is I have no idea where to begin at all. I literally have no knowledge of the type of camera shots, terms & phrases, nada. The only thing I kinda know is a wide shot and even then I don't fully understand the concept of that. The realization of how much I don't know and how much there is to learn is honestly intimidating/overwhelming but I can't let that stop me.

I've already decided that I'm going to use a film camera and there's no convincing me. All the photos that I love are on film plus it's the original way. And it just looks better.

I have my eyes on two films cameras that are within my budget right now and I want you guys to help me choose...

The Argus C3 Brick

I can get this right now for $40

00C0C_avY6g8IMifX_600x450.jpg

The Yashica FX3

I can get this right now for $50

00707_qUERJDqJ2Y_600x450.jpg

Which one do you guys think I should get?

I decided to go with these two before I save up for a Nikon FM because they are in my budget right now. And because I've learned the hard way with other things that it doesn't matter if you have the latest and greatest if you don't know how to do ****.

Welcome to the site and congrats on your decision to pursue photography.

I could not give you an opinion one way or another about these two cameras, but I will ask you one question.

You said that the FM isn't in your budget now, so have you thought about the expense of film and developing and scanning them to digital (if that is what you want to do with them)?

I'm not trying to talk you out of a film camera, I have two. I just thought I would bring this to your attention. (note: you can make digital photos look like they were film photos.

Welcome to the site and congrats on your decision to pursue photography.

I could not give you an opinion one way or another about these two cameras, but I will ask you one question.

You said that the FM isn't in your budget now, so have you thought about the expense of film and developing and scanning them to digital (if that is what you want to do with them)?

I'm not trying to talk you out of a film camera, I have two. I just thought I would bring this to your attention. (note: you can make digital photos look like they were film photos.

Yes I have fully considered the cost of all of that. The FM isn't in my budget because I don't have $450+ to spend. Even if I did I wouldn't cause like I said before, having the best & priciest doesn't mean jack **** if you don't know how to do anything. You just end up getting frustrated and not using the equipment anyways.

Well if it were me I would buy the one that works. Buying a used camera is like buying a used car. Look them over for condition, check them over for functionality. Buy the one that is in the best shape.

Last edited:
The problem is I have no idea where to begin at all. I literally have no knowledge of the type of camera shots, terms & phrases, nada.
Learn the art first. That is the hardest to learn. The camera technology can be learned fairly easily, but if you don't know what makes a good composition, then it does't matter about the camera.

I'd go with the Yashica because I like the layout of the controls better.

Can you explain why you like the layout better? I was thinking the same thing but the Argus is a nice vintage camera and I googled how photos taken with it looks and I really liked them. I'm gonna see how photos taken with the Yashica looks shortly.

Also do you think any type of film will work in these old cameras or will they need something special?

The problem is I have no idea where to begin at all. I literally have no knowledge of the type of camera shots, terms & phrases, nada.
Learn the art first. That is the hardest to learn. The camera technology can be learned fairly easily, but if you don't know what makes a good composition, then it does't matter about the camera.

Can you lead me in the right direction of learning the art?

Can you explain why you like the layout better? I was thinking the same thing but the Argus is a nice vintage camera and I googled how photos taken with it looks and I really liked them. I'm gonna see how photos taken with the Yashica looks shortly.

Also do you think any type of film will work in these old cameras or will they need something special?

1) It's the photographer not the camera that takes photos.
2) There is a ton of information on this site, plus you can use sites like youtube, google, kelbyone, creative live.com and Cambridge in Colour.

I'm not familiar with Yashica and an SLR with a good lens would probably give you more options long term - but it depends on condition. Looks like it's been taped up, and I use cameras that looked like I've dragged them around for years, but if it's beat up I'd make sure it's in good working condition. I'm not sure from the looks of it if it's even worth 50 bucks but I'm not up on the current value.

The brick probably wouldn't be a bad choice either. I don't have one but I use other rangefinders. I have different expectations using a basic viewfinder with not many settings, compared to using an SLR, or a rangefinder. I use them in different ways, and agree it takes learning how to use a particular type camera to get good results.

I'd suggest you try running a roll of film thru whatever you get and write down what you do, so later you can see what worked or what didn't.

You can find the instruction manual for just about any film camera on Mike Butkus' website Free camera instruction manuals camera instructions free film camera user guide camera manual camera instruction manuals Canon camera manual Nikon camera manual Ricoh camera manuals Sears Camera Manuals camera instruction manual replacement cam . (Good grief that came up long on here!)

You might want to look at Film Photography Project An Internet Radio Show On-Line Resource for Film Shooters Worldwide , they have videos, a Flickr discussion group, do a podcast, and are a little wacky.

Last edited:
Oh, man! You're not wanting much, are you?

Seriously, put the camera down and start learning about art. Composition, terminology, history, etc. Learn as much as you can about art in general. Borrow books from your local library, take a class in art history, learn to draw, read about art in photography, learn about light and how light renders a scene.

Then when you pick up a camera, you should know what makes a good photograph.

1) It's the photographer not the camera that takes photos.
2) There is a ton of information on this site, plus you can use sites like youtube, google, kelbyone, creative live.com and Cambridge in Colour.

I'm not familiar with Yashica and an SLR with a good lens would probably give you more options long term - but it depends on condition. Looks like it's been taped up, and I use cameras that looked like I've dragged them around for years, but if it's beat up I'd make sure it's in good working condition. I'm not sure from the looks of it if it's even worth 50 bucks but I'm not up on the current value.

The brick probably wouldn't be a bad choice either. I don't have one but I use other rangefinders. I have different expectations using a basic viewfinder with not many settings, compared to using an SLR, or a rangefinder. I use them in different ways, and agree it takes learning how to use a particular type camera to get good results.

I'd suggest you try running a roll of film thru whatever you get and write down what you do, so later you can see what worked or what didn't.

You can find the instruction manual for just about any film camera on Mike Butkus' website Free camera instruction manuals camera instructions free film camera user guide camera manual camera instruction manuals Canon camera manual Nikon camera manual Ricoh camera manuals Sears Camera Manuals camera instruction manual replacement cam . (Good grief that came up long on here!)

You might want to look at Film Photography Project An Internet Radio Show On-Line Resource for Film Shooters Worldwide , they have videos, a Flickr discussion group, do a podcast, and are a little wacky.

Thank you so much both of you. Am definitely going to look into everything.

I owneed a Yahica FX-3 and 50mm lens back in the 1981-1984 era! I've owned two C-4 "bricks"...the brick is crude and awkward...left-hand knob advance, manually cocking shutter, weak rangefinder system, slow top shutter speeds...it's 1938 technology. It has no light meter. The Yashica looks absolutely thrashed on. and is in NO WAY worth $50. Whoever is selling it for $50 is ripping you off. Seriously. It once was a nice, match-diode camera, but it's really not worth $50 in today's depressed 35mm film SLR market. A nice AF Nikon that's 15 to 20 years newer can be had for the same price.

Honestly, if it were me? Ok, I realize I'll probably be run out of town on a rail for this, but my advice would be to buy a dirt cheap, old used DSLR (yes,, digital SLR) first.

Look for something like an old D50 or something in that range, just some dirt cheap digital SLR. Learn on it first. Figure out the exposure triangle, take hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of photos to see how ISO, shutter speed and aperture settings affect your end results.

Then get rid of the DSLR an buy a vintage film camera if that is what your heart truly desires. I would be willing to bet you'll save 2-3 times as much in film and developing costs that way figuring out the basics than what you spend on a dirt cheap used D50 or something similar.

Hey, just my 2 cents worth.

My local pawn shot had an IMMACULATE Nikon D40 last month, for $99 body only. Slap a cheap lens on there and BOOM.

FILM is $5 to $9 per roll. Developing and printing is $10.99 to $14.99 per roll.

I bought a 6-megapixel d-slr a few years ago, and shot $75,000 worth of pictures with it at $5.99 per roll of Ektachrome slide film and $7.99 developing...on a Fuji S2 Pro 6-MP d-slr camera that in 2002 cost me $2,400. Today, the SAME quality of SLR camera can be had in a $349 Nikon 3xxx refurb....or the same 6-million-pixel Nikon D40.

Learning on film makes no sense at all. Not to me. Not to most people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back