I'm Sorry! But I Need Help lol

Put your money back in the bank until you know what you want. Jeez, rent the friggin' cameras and figure it out for your self.

I got the impression somewhere you sold cameras. That can't be the case..

i do sell cameras. but how does not knowing what i want make me incapable of selling them? I know what features cameras have and how they appeal to different people. but in my own case, i like features of both cameras and feel i can benefit from either one and am looking for people who have owned both to give me some advice. renting i think would be a waste of money.

I was under the impression DX glass would work on fX cameras but not vice versa.

i was under the impression that a dx lens will cause vignetting or knock the camera to 5mp if on a fx camera.

why wouldnt a fx lens work on a dx body?

Ok ok that was it. Any FX glass will work on a DX body in case you decide to upgrade to FX.

thats why im afraid to get a nice dx camera. if i did, i would get fx lenses for it anyways. i think im gonna get the d700, a grip and a nice lens for it.

Just curious since I am a Canon user and am curious about all the Nikon Lingo, is the difference btw fx and dx, the same as Ef and efs? Just a cropped body, vs full frame?

Indoors, a 70-200 on a D300s is a very long, narrow-angle lens, useless at many events. On FX, it's a useful lens, because a 70-200 was originally designed for an FX sized sensor.

I have to agree - 1.6 crop is tricky at 70mm :( and cats are a right pain with this lens (they always get too close!).

I would say sit down and work out what area of photography you are moving into - by your lens selectio and discussions I'm guessing you are aiming toward portrait type work - maybe with the dreaded W word appearing somewhere!! If that is the case then the fullframe is generally the weapon of choice most reach for. Higher usable ISOs (good for the W, and other event shoots where you can't control the lighting); smaller depth of field (generally speaking more popular than wide depths of field).

Also - just to confuse you further - strictly speaking medium format cameras are far far more Pro for this kind of work ;)

If the (generally but not always) better AF setup, faster frames per second and automatic image cropping of a 1.6 crop camera are not things that you need then it sounds like the 1.6 is not the type of camera best suited to your needs. They are certainly pro working class within certain professional areas (wildlife, sports).

Just curious since I am a Canon user and am curious about all the Nikon Lingo, is the difference btw fx and dx, the same as Ef and efs? Just a cropped body, vs full frame?
Yep.

Except Nikon DX and FX lens are not restricted in so far that each can be used on any Nikon dSLR made today.

" no, i havent gotten anything but a 55-200 that i hate. i havent invested incase i found myself in this situation"

Why do you have the 55-200mm? Its a great lens for the price imo. Sure its not the best lens in the world but I don't see why you would hate it. What can you expect out of a $150 lens.

i didnt get the vr lol and its not fast enough to be able to use faster shutter speeds to eliminate shake. It was my fault. but it is a nice lens for the money, i just dont really find myself using the range.

and thank you overread, i know that medium format is what pros use but i dont have that cash to drop haha. I do enjoy shooting people more often. probably not weddings though. If i do any kind of sports, it will be something where i can get close enough to not need a super long lens.

i think the d700 might be the best option. if i dont like it for any reason, i can sell it and get the d300s

I can't see any reason you wouldn't like the 700

Nikonrumors is saying D700 replacement is about to be released too!

Any replacement would be tiny tweaks, nothing revolutionary.

Any replacement would be tiny tweaks, nothing revolutionary.

The suppose tweaks would be the D3x sensor, meaning 24mp but crap low light performance and a 4.5k price tag. NOT WORTH IT. IMO

I'm going to be picking up a D700 as well. I low night photography and landscape photography though so the full frame is very useful to me. If you don't need the higher ISO range and better performance then save the coin and get the D300s.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back