I'm Switching to Canon....Want Advice on Lenses!

What are the drawbacks of the Sigma 1.4 over the Canon?
I've found issues with Tamron over Canon (slow AF, noisy) and wonder if its the same for Sigma.

Size and weight arent really an issue. I dont normally use a 50 prime unless I'm doing something in low light, at which point I am carrying a bag with various other items in there.

Price is an issue though... arg...more food for though.
thanks for the link

Personally i only buy Canon
Nothing wrong with the 50F1.4 @ F1.4
260533241_kWtw3-L.jpg

The trouble with 3rd party lenses is they are reverse engineered and don't hold their resale value as well as camera maker lenses, like the pro Canon L glass.

It's a pain when you have to send a 3rd party lens back in to be re-chipped, just because you got a different model camera body with the same mount.

One last thought, if you read the warranty closely, http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2113&fcategoryid=215&modelid=19356

This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product, and does not apply in the following cases:

........(b) Use of parts or supplies (other than those sold by Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada) that cause damage to the Product or cause abnormally frequent service calls or service problems

Anyones thoughts on this reply?

The trouble with 3rd party lenses is they are reverse engineered and don't hold their resale value as well as camera maker lenses, like the pro Canon L glass.

It's a pain when you have to send a 3rd party lens back in to be re-chipped, just because you got a different model camera body with the same mount.

One last thought, if you read the warranty closely, http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2113&fcategoryid=215&modelid=19356

This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product, and does not apply in the following cases:

........(b) Use of parts or supplies (other than those sold by Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada) that cause damage to the Product or cause abnormally frequent service calls or service problems

Anyones thoughts on this reply?

1- All good glass hold its value. Check eBay.com. But L glass holds its value better than others.
2- Since Canon does not publish its camera/lens interfaces these third party lenses are reverse engineered.
3- As far as warranty is concerned, it is what it is.

I Think those are going to be my choices as they cover my 'bases'
Tokina 11-16
Tamron 17-50
Sigma 50mm 1.4

Now I will need a Zoom Lens too.....

Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II :)

LOL your reply are my '...' :lmao:
Yeah, unless you are really close, none of those lenses are going to help you cover drifting or racing. I try to get out to drift events as much as I can, and you can see what I've taken with my 70-200 2.8L IS II and my old 70-300 4-5.6 IS lens below. The 2.8L is absolutely amazing and razor sharp even wide open, but lacks the extra reach of the 70-300mm and is nearly 3 times the cost. If you don't need super top-end optics and aren't shooting in low light, the 70-300 IS is a good lens. As others said, there's always third party brands like Sigma and Tamron, but I personally will only buy Canon lenses.

Matt Spencer | Formula Drift: Streets of Long Beach (70-200 2.8L IS II)

Matt Spencer | Misc. Drifting Events (70-300 IS)

I Think I've Made up My Mind I will start off with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the Sigma 70-300 4-5.6

This thing got that red ring of Canon L lenses :lol: and will easily fit your 1000 budget. BTW it does not have IS (OS).

Good Luck...:thumbup:

I Think I've Made up My Mind I will start off with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the Sigma 70-300 4-5.6

This thing got that red ring of Canon L lenses :lol: and will easily fit your 1000 budget. BTW it does not have IS (OS).

Good Luck...:thumbup:

Both Have IS....Tamron 'VC' & Sigma 'OS'

Both Have IS....Tamron 'VC' & Sigma 'OS'
You are right, there are two versions for Sigma.
Come back and post the review once you get your Sigma :)

I Got Offered a 1D Mark II N minty fresh with a 24-70mm 2.8 ,a light meter filter kit and a backpack; really cheap; should i do it? or go for the 7D?

Sorry if we didn't get back to you within 7 hours of your post done at 1am :meh:

If its really cheap, get the deal. The 24-70 2.8 is a great lens.

Most reactions

Back