What's new

I'm Switching to Canon....Want Advice on Lenses!

I Got Offered a 1D Mark II N minty fresh with a 24-70mm 2.8 ,a light meter filter kit and a backpack; really cheap; should i do it? or go for the 7D?


I have 2 of them and would rather have them over a 7D, all depends what you shoot
 
I've got a 7d and I did purchase the Canon 50 1.4. I've had less than stellar results, and I am kicking myself to a certain degree for not getting the Sigma.

Mind posting up some images of the less stellar results with the Canon? I'm shooting with a 7D and as mentionned, considering the Canon 50 1.4

The lens is PRETTY soft at f1.4 and f1.8, but gets a lot sharper up through f2.8 and f4 where it's tack sharp. I love mine.
 
I've got a 7d and I did purchase the Canon 50 1.4. I've had less than stellar results, and I am kicking myself to a certain degree for not getting the Sigma.

Mind posting up some images of the less stellar results with the Canon? I'm shooting with a 7D and as mentionned, considering the Canon 50 1.4

The lens is PRETTY soft at f1.4 and f1.8, but gets a lot sharper up through f2.8 and f4 where it's tack sharp. I love mine.

Its not on the 5D or 1D
 
Mind posting up some images of the less stellar results with the Canon? I'm shooting with a 7D and as mentionned, considering the Canon 50 1.4

The lens is PRETTY soft at f1.4 and f1.8, but gets a lot sharper up through f2.8 and f4 where it's tack sharp. I love mine.

Its not on the 5D or 1D

Yeah, I guess it looks like f/2.8 has garbage going on in corners of a full frame, but f/4 and f/5.6 look pretty damn good for a $350 lens. It looks great down to 2.8 on my crop bodies.

f/2.8: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

f/4: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

f/5.6: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results
 
I Bought Today the 1D & 24-70mm 2.8 ; price was a bargain and all items Mint; plus a few more extra goodies!; i'm really liking the body but i think i will sell it i'm kind on in love with the 7D!
 
I too love the 7d, but I have had issues with the 50 1.4. Crisp and clear when the subject is 3 or 4 feet away, but beyond 10 feet it seems to be a mystery of when it will get the focus right and when it won't. Very frustrating.

I've read some mixed reports about this issue, and now I am contemplating sending the lens to Canon for a thorough checking.

Peter
--
Tallahassee photography, Tallahassee wedding photographers - Hanowell Photography
 
I Bought Today the 1D & 24-70mm 2.8 ; price was a bargain and all items Mint; plus a few more extra goodies!; i'm really liking the body but i think i will sell it i'm kind on in love with the 7D!

Shoot for a while with the 1D
Then rent the 7D for a weekend.

See which you like best.
 
Shoot for a while with the 1D
Then rent the 7D for a weekend.

See which you like best.

+1


I Bought Today the 1D & 24-70mm 2.8 ; price was a bargain and all items Mint; plus a few more extra goodies!; i'm really liking the body but i think i will sell it i'm kind on in love with the 7D!

Congratulations :thumbup:
Now post some photos.
 
I'm gonna Keep The 1D for a While; after i sell my other camera and some stuff; i'll consider the options; in the meantime; i'm in the search of a Dedicated Flash & a 70-300mm!
 
The lens is PRETTY soft at f1.4 and f1.8, but gets a lot sharper up through f2.8 and f4 where it's tack sharp. I love mine.

Its not on the 5D or 1D

Yeah, I guess it looks like f/2.8 has garbage going on in corners of a full frame, but f/4 and f/5.6 look pretty damn good for a $350 lens. It looks great down to 2.8 on my crop bodies.

f/2.8: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

f/4: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

f/5.6: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results


I have never tested a lens like that i would rather test it in the real world
F1.4 on a 1Dmk1 from a distance
359488777_RHsyX-XL.jpg


F2.5 on a 1Dmk2
780212135_PP8mX-L.jpg
 
Should I Keep The 1D Mark II N or go for the 7D?
 
With sadness i write this reply: after 4-5 days of using the Mark II without a problem; today 'it just fell apart'...the Lens got stuck & did not focus well; to make matters even worse; when i took the lens out to examine/clean; the 'microprism?' fell right out of the body....i'm so sad; i was loving this setup; but now i got kind of weird; all this happend...so tomorrow i'll meet with the seller to return it....so i Gues I'm Back to the 7D....:/
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom