I'm Switching to Canon....Want Advice on Lenses!

I Got Offered a 1D Mark II N minty fresh with a 24-70mm 2.8 ,a light meter filter kit and a backpack; really cheap; should i do it? or go for the 7D?

Please define "really cheap".

Anyways, as it is mentioned in the previous post that 24-70mm is a good lens.

I've got a 7d and I did purchase the Canon 50 1.4. I've had less than stellar results, and I am kicking myself to a certain degree for not getting the Sigma.

But for my 2 cents: Start with 24-70 L, then 70-200 L, then think about which range you find yourself shooting in the most and focus on that. Or which range you feel like you are really missing (e.g. wide, since the 24 would be more than 38 on the 1.6 crop).

Peter
--
Tallahassee photography, Tallahassee wedding photographers - Hanowell Photography

I Got Offered a 1D Mark II N minty fresh with a 24-70mm 2.8 ,a light meter filter kit and a backpack; really cheap; should i do it? or go for the 7D?

Please define "really cheap".

Anyways, as it is mentioned in the previous post that 24-70mm is a good lens.

Price Tag of the Lens!

Another thing you need to check is the shutter count on this used camera.

I've got a 7d and I did purchase the Canon 50 1.4. I've had less than stellar results, and I am kicking myself to a certain degree for not getting the Sigma.
I almost purchased Canon 50mm 1.4. Would you like to share your reason of liking Sigma?

"1D Mark II N, Compatible Lenses: Canon EF lenses (except EF-S lens)"
What good am I losing there?

I think if you do not know the answer to this question then you seriously need to do some reading before buying anything. Because after all it is suppose to be your decision.

EF-S lenses are for digital SLRs (1.6 crop sensor cameras), 1d2n is 1.3.

I've been reeding a Lot Since since 'the offer'; to be honest I don't know much about Full Frame cameras...what i meant by the question is 'what good lens may i lose compatibility with the 1d2n, if any?'

I've been reeding a Lot Since since 'the offer'; to be honest I don't know much about Full Frame cameras...what i meant by the question is 'what good lens may i lose compatibility with the 1d2n, if any?'

You will be ok. All of the L lenses are compatible with 1d.

The ef-s lenses that I like are 10-22 and 17-55 2.8.

The trouble with 3rd party lenses is they are reverse engineered and don't hold their resale value as well as camera maker lenses, like the pro Canon L glass.

But if you are buying pro end 3rd party or own brand you won't be intending to resell for a long long time anyway! And budget line gear always sells very low no matter if its canon, sigma or tamron. So I've never quite understood why resale is so massive a point in this unless you are a die hard dealer looking for the best resale value on preownded stock.

It's a pain when you have to send a 3rd party lens back in to be re-chipped, just because you got a different model camera body with the same mount.

True this is a valid risk with any 3rdparty gear, though modern releases are normally pretty safe. Furthermore many times rechipping is cheap or even free (depending upon the lens you are sending in).

One last thought, if you read the warranty closely,

This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product, and does not apply in the following cases:

........(b) Use of parts or supplies (other than those sold by Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada) that cause damage to the Product or cause abnormally frequent service calls or service problems

I've not heard or good quality 3rdparty products causing damage to DSLRs unless the person using them has done something silly (like mounting a crop sensor only lens to a fullframe camera body). The worst is that (in very very rare occasions) old 3rdparty gear can cause firmwire problems in some DSLRs but its not a concern for a new 3rdparty lens.

My 70mm and 150mm are both 3rdparty and heck there is little that is not pro grade about them. Optically very strong, their only weakpoint is an overall weaker AF setup, but that is quite a standard thing with macro leneses.

I almost purchased Canon 50mm 1.4. Would you like to share your reason of liking Sigma?

I love my 50 1.4 on my 50D! It is super sharp above 1.8 and at 1.4 you get a real nice dreamy look. Ive taken plenty of shots at 1.4 and 1.8 and love the results. Oh and remember if you are focusing and recomposing at anything less than f4 you may run into focus problems. Just some thoughts but if something was to happen to my 50 f1.4 I would run to go buy another.

Mind posting up some images of the less stellar results with the Canon? I'm shooting with a 7D and as mentionned, considering the Canon 50 1.4

I love my 50 1.4 on my 50D! It is super sharp above 1.8 and at 1.4 you get a real nice dreamy look. Ive taken plenty of shots at 1.4 and 1.8 and love the results. Oh and remember if you are focusing and recomposing at anything less than f4 you may run into focus problems. Just some thoughts but if something was to happen to my 50 f1.4 I would run to go buy another.
I'm sure you do, and I like my Canon 50mm 1.8 and it works great for my needs. The sole purpose (at least that's what I think) of buying a 1.4 is to be able to use it in low light and at 1.4. I can always use my Canon 50mm 1.8 at 1.8+. The Canon version has a focusing issue in low light, but is cheaper than Sigma. Sigma version has weather sealing as well.

I wasn't comparing the 1.8 to 1.4 I was just stating that my 50 F1.4 is very sharp and was prying to see why peterhanowell was getting less than stellar results.

Most reactions

Back